Lift ticket prices and quality in French ski resorts: Insights from a non-parametric analysis
Using a unique data set with 168 ski resorts located in France, this paper investigates the relationship between lift ticket prices and supply-related characteristics of ski resorts. A non-parametric analysis combined with a principal component analysis is used to identify the set of efficient ski resorts, defined as those where the lift ticket price is the cheapest for a given level of quality. Results show that the average inefficiency per lift ticket price is less than 1.5 euros for resorts located in the Pyrenees and the Southern Alps. The average inefficiency is three times higher for ski resorts located in the Northern Alps, which is explained by the presence of large connected ski areas offering many more runs for a small surchage.
|Date of creation:||28 Feb 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00952999|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Li, Baibing & Martin, Elaine B. & Morris, A. Julian, 2002. "On principal component analysis in L1," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 471-474, September.
- Stefan Borsky & Paul A. Raschky, 2009. "The Hedonics of Hedonism - Estimating the Value of Risk-Taking Activities," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(2), pages 210-225, 04.
- Nataraja, Niranjan R. & Johnson, Andrew L., 2011. "Guidelines for using variable selection techniques in data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 215(3), pages 662-669, December.
- Alessandrini, Sergio, 2012.
"Quality of ski resorts and competition between the Emilian Apennines and Altipiani Trentini. An estimate of the hedonic price,"
37237, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 02 Feb 2012.
- Sergio Alessandrini, 2013. "Quality of Ski Resorts and Competition Between the Emilian Apennines and Altipiani Trentini. an Estimate of the Hedonic Price," Review of Economic Analysis, Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, vol. 5(1), pages 42-69, June.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Adler, Nicole & Yazhemsky, Ekaterina, 2010. "Improving discrimination in data envelopment analysis: PCA-DEA or variable reduction," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 202(1), pages 273-284, April.
- Adler, Nicole & Golany, Boaz, 2001. "Evaluation of deregulated airline networks using data envelopment analysis combined with principal component analysis with an application to Western Europe," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 260-273, July.
- Christian Ben Lakhdar & Hervé Leleu & Nicolas Gérard Vaillant & François-Charles Wolff, 2011.
"Efficiency of purchasing and selling agents in markets with quality uncertainty: The case of illicit drug transactions,"
2011-ECO-02, IESEG School of Management.
- Ben Lakhdar, Christian & Leleu, Hervé & Vaillant, Nicolas Gérard & Wolff, François-Charles, 2013. "Efficiency of purchasing and selling agents in markets with quality uncertainty: The case of illicit drug transactions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 226(3), pages 646-657.
- Chr. Ben Lakhdar & H. Leleu & N. Vaillant & F.C Wolff, 2013. "Efficiency of purchasing and selling agents in markets with quality uncertainty : the case of illicit drug transactions," Post-Print hal-00798521, HAL.
- Michel Mouchart & Marie Vandresse, 2007. "Bargaining powers and market segmentation in freight transport," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(7), pages 1295-1313.
- James G. Mulligan & Emmanuel Llinares, 2003. "Market Segmentation and the Diffusion of Quality-Enhancing Innovations: The Case of Downhill Skiing," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(3), pages 493-501, August.
- Barro, Robert J & Romer, Paul M, 1987. "Ski-Lift Pricing, with Applications to Labor and Other," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(5), pages 875-90, December.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Luis R. Murillo-Zamorano, 2004. "Economic Efficiency and Frontier Techniques," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 18(1), pages 33-77, 02.
- Martin Falk, 2011. "International Price Differences in Ski Lift Tickets," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 147(III), pages 303-336, September.
- M. J. Farrell, 1959. "The Convexity Assumption in the Theory of Competitive Markets," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 67, pages 377.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:hal-00952999. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.