Rent Capture Analysis of Ontario’s Stumpage System Using an Enhanced Parity Bounds Model
We develop and use an enhanced parity bounds model (EPBM) to examine the discrepancy between the stumpage price administratively determined under Ontario’s current stumpage pricing system and the market value of stumpage covering from June, 1995 to January, 2007. The results show that in the short run, the stumpage prices were below or above the market values. However, in the long run, the underpayment and overpayment will even out each other. The results imply that Ontario’s stumpage pricing system has the ability to capture the full economic rents in the long-run, and the results also have other policy implications.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brannman, Lance Eric, 1996. "Potential Competition and Possible Collusion in Forest Service Timber Auctions," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 34(4), pages 730-45, October.
- Stennes, Brad & Wilson, Bill, 2005. "An analysis of lumber trade restrictions in North America: application of a spatial equilibrium model," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 297-308, March.
- Yin, Runsheng & Baek, Jungho, 2004. "The US-Canada softwood lumber trade dispute: what we know and what we need to know," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 129-143, March.
- Courtland L. Washburn & Clark S. Binkley, 1993. "Informational Efficiency of Markets for Stumpage: Reply," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 75(1), pages 239-242.
- L. Ingber, 1996. "Statistical mechanics of nonlinear nonequilibrium financial markets: Applications to optimized trading," Lester Ingber Papers 96nf, Lester Ingber.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uwp:landec:v:84:y:2008:i:4:p:667-688. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.