Intraregional Trade Costs in Asia: A Primer
While much has been said about the need to promote intraregional trade and the importance of reducing associated trade costs, quantitative estimates of such costs have been lacking. In this paper a new comprehensive measure of international trade costs is applied to calculate, according to value, trade costs within and between four Asian subregions, including the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC). Extraregional trade costs of the four subregions with free trade areas outside Asia, such as the North American Free Trade Area (NAFTA) and the European Union (EU), as well as their trade costs with China, India and Japan are also calculated. The analysis concludes with an evaluation of the importance of tariffs in overall trade costs and with the identification of sharp differences across Asian subregions.
Volume (Year): 18 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: The United Nations Building, Rajadamnern Nok Avenue, Bangkok 10200|
Phone: (66-2) 288-1234
Fax: (66-2) 288-1000
Web page: http://www.unescap.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hiau LooiKee & Alessandro Nicita & Marcelo Olarreaga, 2009.
"Estimating Trade Restrictiveness Indices,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 119(534), pages 172-199, 01.
- Kee, Hiau Looi & Nicita, Alessandro & Olarreaga, Marcelo, 2006. "Estimating Trade Restrictiveness Indices," CEPR Discussion Papers 5576, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kee, Hiau Looi & Nicita, Alessandro & Olarreaga, Marcelo, 2006. "Estimating trade restrictiveness indices," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3840, The World Bank.
- Dennis Novy, 2013. "Gravity Redux: Measuring International Trade Costs With Panel Data," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 51(1), pages 101-121, 01.
- Novy, Dennis, 2008. "Gravity Redux : Measuring International Trade Costs with Panel Data," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 861, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Dennis Novy, 2012. "Gravity Redux: Measuring International Trade Costs with Panel Data," CEP Discussion Papers dp1114, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Dennis Novy, 2013. "Gravity redux: measuring international trade costs with panel data," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 59308, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Dennis Novy, 2011. "Gravity Redux: Measuring International Trade Costs with Panel Data," CESifo Working Paper Series 3616, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ben Shepherd, 2010. "Trade costs and facilitation in APEC and ASEAN: delivering the goods?," STUDIES IN TRADE AND INVESTMENT,in: Rising Non-Tariff Protectionism and Crisis Recovery, chapter 5, pages 93-110 United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP).
- Shepherd, Ben, 2010. "Trade costs and facilitation in APEC and ASEAN: Delivering the goods?," MPRA Paper 21531, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Abe , Kazutomo & Wilson, John S., 2008. "Trade, Transparency, and Welfare in the Asia Pacific," East Asian Economic Review, Korea Institute for International Economic Policy, vol. 12(2), pages 35-78, December.
- Yann Duval & Chorthip Utoktham, 2009. "Behind-the-Border Trade Facilitation in Asia-Pacific: Cost of Trade, Credit Information, Contract Enforcement and Regulatory Coherence," Working Paper Series 209, United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP).
- Yann Duval & Chorthip Utoktham, 2009. "Behind the Border Trade Facilitation in Asia-Pacific: Cost of Trade, Credit Information, Contract Enforcement and Regulatory Coherence," Working Papers 6709, Asia-Pacific Research and Training Network on Trade (ARTNeT), an initiative of UNESCAP and IDRC, Canada..
- Helble, Matthias & Shepherd, Ben & Wilson, John S., 2007. "Transparency, trade costs, and regional integration in the Asia Pacific," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4401, The World Bank. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)