Alleviating extreme poverty in Chile: the short term effects of Chile Solidario
This paper evaluates the effect of an anti-poverty program, Chile Solidario, during its first two years of operation. We find that the program tends to increases significantly their take-up of cash assistance programs and of social programs for housing and employment, and to improve education and health outcomes for participating households. There is no evidence that the participation to employment program translates into improved employment or income outcomes in the short term. Finally, we provide suggestive evidence of the key role that the psycho-social support had in enabling this change, by increasing awareness of social services in the community as well as households’ orientation towards the future.
Volume (Year): 38 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 Year 2011 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.econ.uchile.cl/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- de Janvry, Alain & Finan, Frederico & Sadoulet, Elisabeth & Vakis, Renos, 2004.
"Can conditional cash transfers serve as safety nets to keep children at school and out of the labor market?,"
CUDARE Working Paper Series
0999, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- de Janvry, Alain & Finan, Frederico & Sadoulet, Elisabeth, 2004. "Can Conditional Cash Transfers Serve as Safety Nets to Keep Children at School and Out of the Labor Market?," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt5fp0g5p2, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Richard Blundell & Monica Costa Dias & Costas Meghir & John Van Reenen, 2004.
"Evaluating the Employment Impact of a Mandatory Job Search Program,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 2(4), pages 569-606, 06.
- Blundell, Richard William & Costa Dias, Monica & Meghir, Costas & Van Reenen, John, 2003. "Evaluating the Employment Impact of a Mandatory Job Search Programme," CEPR Discussion Papers 3786, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Paul J. Gertler & Sebastian W. Martinez & Marta Rubio-Codina, 2012.
"Investing Cash Transfers to Raise Long-Term Living Standards,"
American Economic Journal: Applied Economics,
American Economic Association, vol. 4(1), pages 164-92, January.
- Gertler, Paul & Martinez, Sebastian & Rubio-Codina, Marta, 2006. "Investing cash transfers to raise long term living standards," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3994, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:udc:esteco:v:38:y:2011:i:1:p:101-127. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Verónica Kunze)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.