Indigenous Language Skills and the Labor Market in a Developing Economy: Bolivia
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Kuo, Chun-Yan, 1976. "The Effect of Education on the Earnings of Indian, Eskimo, Metis, and White Workers in the Mackenzie District of Northern Canada," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 24(2), pages 387-398, January.
- Donna MacIsaac & Harry Patrinos, 1995. "Labour market discrimination against indigenous people in Peru," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(2), pages 218-233.
- Miller, Paul W, 1989. "The Structure of Aboriginal and Non-aboriginal Youth Unemployment," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(52), pages 39-56, June.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Godoy, Ricardo A. & Leonard, William R. & Reyes-Garcia, Victoria & Goodman, Elizabeth & McDade, Thomas & Huanca, Tomas & Tanner, Susan & Vadez, Vincent, 2006. "Physical stature of adult Tsimane' Amerindians, Bolivian Amazon in the 20th century," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 184-205, June.
- Godoy, Ricardo & Reyes-Garcia, Victoria & Seyfried, Craig & Huanca, Tomas & Leonard, William R. & McDade, Thomas & Tanner, Susan & Vadez, Vincent, 2007. "Language skills and earnings: Evidence from a pre-industrial economy in the Bolivian Amazon," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 349-360, June.
- ALHENDI Osama, 2019. "Language Policy And Economics: Does English Language Accelerate The Wheel Of Development In The Economies Or Not? A Review," Annals of Faculty of Economics, University of Oradea, Faculty of Economics, vol. 1(2), pages 366-379, December.
- Casale, Daniela & Posel, Dorrit, 2011.
"English language proficiency and earnings in a developing country: The case of South Africa,"
Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 385-393, August.
- Daniela Casale & Dorrit Posel, 2010. "English Language Proficiency and Earnings in a Developing Country: The Case of South Africa," Working Papers 181, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Victor Agadjanian & Byeongdon Oh, 2020. "Continuities in Transition: Ethnicity, Language and Labour Market Inequalities in Kyrgyzstan," Development and Change, International Institute of Social Studies, vol. 51(6), pages 1579-1612, November.
- Javier Cano-Urbina & Patrick L. Mason, 2016. "Acculturation and the labor market in Mexico," IZA Journal of Labor Policy, Springer;Forschungsinstitut zur Zukunft der Arbeit GmbH (IZA), vol. 5(1), pages 1-29, December.
- Ivlevs, Artjoms & King, Roswitha M., 2014. "2004 Minority Education Reform and pupil performance in Latvia," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 151-166.
- Bauchet, Jonathan & Undurraga, Eduardo A. & Reyes-García, Victoria & Behrman, Jere R. & Godoy, Ricardo A., 2018. "Conditional cash transfers for primary education: Which children are left out?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 105(C), pages 1-12.
- Juan Pablo Atal & Hugo Nopo & Natalia Winder, 2009.
"New Century, Old Disparities: Gender and Ethnic Wage Gaps in Latin America,"
Research Department Publications
4640, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Nopo, Hugo R. & Atal, Juan Pablo & Winder, Natalia, 2010. "New Century, Old Disparities: Gender and Ethnic Wage Gaps in Latin America," IZA Discussion Papers 5085, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Atal, Juan Pablo & Ñopo, Hugo R. & Winder, Natalia, 2010. "New Century, Old Disparities: Gender and Ethnic Wage Gaps in Latin America," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 1131, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Adriana Aguilar-Rodriguez & Alfonso Miranda & Yu Zhu, 2018. "Decomposing the language pay gap among the indigenous ethnic minorities of Mexico: is it all down to observables?," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 38(2), pages 689-695.
- Nguyen, Hoa-Thi-Minh & Kompas, Tom & Breusch, Trevor & Ward, Michael B., 2017.
"Language, Mixed Communes, and Infrastructure: Sources of Inequality and Ethnic Minorities in Vietnam,"
World Development, Elsevier, vol. 96(C), pages 145-162.
- Hoa Thi Minh Nguyen & Tom Kompas & Trevor Breusch & Michael B. Ward, 2012. "Language, Mixed Communes and Infrastructure: Sources of Inequality and Ethnic Minorities in Vietnam," Crawford School Research Papers 1207, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Matías Busso & Martín Cicowiez & Leonardo Gasparini, 2005. "Ethnicity and the Millennium Development Goals in Latin America and the Caribbean," CEDLAS, Working Papers 0027, CEDLAS, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Godoy, Ricardo & Karlan, Dean S. & Rabindran, Shanti & Huanca, Tomas, 2005. "Do modern forms of human capital matter in primitive economies? Comparative evidence from Bolivia," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 45-53, February.
- George Gray-Molina & Wilson Jimenez & Ernesto Perez de Rada, 2002. "Social Exclusion: Residential Segregation in Bolivian Cities," Research Department Publications 3136, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Gao, Wenshu & Smyth, Russell, 2011. "Economic returns to speaking 'standard Mandarin' among migrants in China's urban labour market," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 342-352, April.
- Chiswick, Barry R., 2008. "The Economics of Language: An Introduction and Overview," IZA Discussion Papers 3568, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Gudrun Ã˜stby, 2016. "Ruralâ€“urban migration, inequality and urban social disorder: Evidence from African and Asian cities," Conflict Management and Peace Science, Peace Science Society (International), vol. 33(5), pages 491-515, November.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Delprato, Marcos, 2019. "Parental education expectations and achievement for Indigenous students in Latin America: Evidence from TERCE learning survey," International Journal of Educational Development, Elsevier, vol. 65(C), pages 10-25.
- Guyonne Kalb & Trinh Le & Boyd Hunter & Felix Leung, 2012.
"Decomposing Differences in Labour Force Status between Indigenous and Non-Indigenous Australians,"
Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series
wp2012n20, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Kalb, Guyonne & Le, Trinh & Hunter, Boyd & Leung, Felix, 2012. "Decomposing Differences in Labour Force Status between Indigenous and Non-Indigenous Australians," IZA Discussion Papers 6808, Institute of Labor Economics (IZA).
- Takao FUKUCHI, 1998. "A Simulation Analysis Of The Urban Informal Sector," The Developing Economies, Institute of Developing Economies, vol. 36(3), pages 225-256, September.
- Boyd Hunter & Matthew Gray, 2004. "Further investigations into Indigenous labour supply: what discourages discouraged workers?," Labor and Demography 0407005, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Catalina Estrada‐Mejia & Ellen Peters & Nathan F. Dieckmann & Marcel Zeelenberg & Marieke De Vries & David P. Baker, 2020. "Schooling, numeracy, and wealth accumulation: A study involving an agrarian population," Journal of Consumer Affairs, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(2), pages 648-674, June.
- Alan Duncan & Astghik Mavisakalyan & Yashar Taverdi, 2016. "Self-assessed versus statistical evidence of labour market discrimination," Bankwest Curtin Economics Centre Working Paper series WP1602, Bankwest Curtin Economics Centre (BCEC), Curtin Business School.
- Carlos Mendez & Erick Gonzales, 2021.
"Human Capital Constraints, Spatial Dependence, and Regional-ization in Bolivia: A Spatial Clustering Approach,"
Revista Economía, Fondo Editorial - Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú, vol. 44(87), pages 115-145.
- Mendez, Carlos & Gonzales, Erick, 2020. "Human Capital Constraints, Spatial Dependence, and Regionalization in Bolivia: A Spatial Clustering Approach," MPRA Paper 104303, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Amanda Shoebridge & Jeremy Buultjens & Lila Singh Peterson, 2012. "Indigenous Entrepreneurship In Northern Nsw, Australia," Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship (JDE), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 17(03), pages 1-31.
- Schady, Norbert R., 2001. "Who participates : the supply of volunteer labor and the distribution of government programs in rural Peru," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2671, The World Bank.
- Alan Duncan & Astghik Mavisakalyan & Yashar Tarverdi, 2016. "Self-assessed versus statistical evidence of labour market discrimination: The case of indigenous Australians," WIDER Working Paper Series wp-2016-70, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Alan Duncan & Astghik Mavisakalyan & Yashar Tarverdi, 2016. "Self-assessed versus statistical evidence of labour market discrimination: The case of indigenous Australians," WIDER Working Paper Series 070, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucp:ecdecc:v:48:y:2000:i:2:p:349-67. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/EDCC .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Journals Division (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/EDCC .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.