The Returns and Implications of Human Capital Investment in a Transition Economy: An Empirical Analysis for Russia 1994-1998
This paper uses the Russian Longitudinal Monitoring Survey (RLMS), a household-based survey designed to measure systematically the reforms in Russia, for the years 1994-98. It utilises standard Mincer analysis to assess the returns to education as well as to specific levels of post-compulsory education and training. Results suggest, in the case of Russia, significant and positive returns to education and training that are comparable in magnitude to other transition countries
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Edinburgh EH14 4AS|
Phone: +44(0)131 451 3497
Fax: +44(0)131 451 3497
Web page: http://www.sml.hw.ac.uk/research/cert.htm
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stepan Jurajda & Randall K. Filer & Jan Planovsky, 2001. "Returns to the Market: Valuing Human Capital in the Post- Transition Czech and Slovak Republics," Development and Comp Systems 0012012, EconWPA.
- Moock, Peter R. & Patrinos, Harry Anthony & Venkataraman, Meera, 2003. "Education and earnings in a transition economy: the case of Vietnam," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 503-510, October.
- Heckman, James, 2013.
"Sample selection bias as a specification error,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Nesterova Daria & Sabirianova Klara, 1998. "Investment in Human Capital under Economic Transformation in Russia," EERC Working Paper Series 99-04e, EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS.
- Psacharopoulos, George & Velez, Eduardo & Patrinos, Harry Anthony, 1994. "Education and earnings in Paraguay," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 321-327.
- Griliches, Zvi, 1977. "Estimating the Returns to Schooling: Some Econometric Problems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(1), pages 1-22, January.
- Robert S. Chase, 1998. "Markets for Communist Human Capital: Returns to Education and Experience in the Czech Republic and Slovakia," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 51(3), pages 401-423, April.
- Jan Rutkowski, 1996. "High skills pay off: the changing wage structure during economic transition in Poland," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 4(1), pages 89-112, 05.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hwe:certdp:0002. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Colin Miller)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.