Exchange Rate Pass-Through and Exposure in the Turkish Economy
This paper examines the impact of exchange rate variations on the export prices and the profitability of the firms, at sectoral and at firm level respectively, in the Turkish manufacturing industry for the period 1995-2007. The data set consists of export unit values, bilateral exchange rates, total revenues, cost of goods sold, value of domestic and foreign sales, and Turkey's export trade partner's GDP's and CPI's. The results show that there is a tendency for local currency price stabilization. The average estimate of exchange rate passthrough to export prices is around 0.6. There is a mixed evidence on the relationship between exchange rate variations and profitability. It is found an apparent variation in the magnitude and direction of exposure across firms. However, these results are not robust to the specification used.
Volume (Year): 10 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Head Office, Istiklal Cad. 10 Ulus, 06100 Ankara|
Phone: (90 312) 507 5000
Fax: (90 312) 507 5640
Web page: http://www.tcmb.gov.tr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bartram, Söhnke M. & Brown, Gregory W. & Minton, Bernadette, 2009.
"Resolving the Exposure Puzzle: The Many Facets of Exchange Rate Exposure,"
14041, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bartram, Söhnke M. & Brown, Gregory W. & Minton, Bernadette A., 2010. "Resolving the exposure puzzle: The many facets of exchange rate exposure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(2), pages 148-173, February.
- Jia He & Lilian K. Ng, 1998. "The Foreign Exchange Exposure of Japanese Multinational Corporations," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(2), pages 733-753, 04.
- Knetter, Michael M, 1989. "Price Discrimination by U.S. and German Exporters," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 198-210, March.
- Jiawen Yang, 1992.
"Exchange Rate Pass-Through in U.S. Manufacturing Industries,"
92-28, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Jiawen Yang, 1997. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through In U.S. Manufacturing Industries," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(1), pages 95-104, February.
- Campa, José Manuel & Goldberg, Linda S., 2006.
"Distribution Margins, Imported Inputs and the Insensitivity of the CPI to Exchange Rates,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5650, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Linda S. Goldberg & José Manuel Campa, 2006. "Distribution Margins, Imported Inputs, and the Sensitivity of the CPI to Exchange Rates," NBER Working Papers 12121, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Goldberg, Linda S. & Campa, Jose M., 2006. "Distribution margins, imported inputs, and the insensitivity of the CPI to exchange rates," IESE Research Papers D/625, IESE Business School.
- Jose Manuel Campa & Linda S. Goldberg, 2006. "Distribution margins, imported inputs, and the sensitivity of the CPI to exchange rates," Staff Reports 247, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Allayannis, George & Ofek, Eli, 2001. "Exchange rate exposure, hedging, and the use of foreign currency derivatives," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 273-296, April.
- Feenstra, Robert C. & Gagnon, Joseph E. & Knetter, Michael M., 1996.
"Market share and exchange rate pass-through in world automobile trade,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(1-2), pages 187-207, February.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Joseph E. Gagnon & Michael M. Knetter, 1993. "Market Share and Exchange Rate Pass-Through in World Automobile Trade," NBER Working Papers 4399, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feenstra, R.C. & Gagnon, J.E. & Knetter, M.M., 1993. "Market Share and Exchange Rate Pass-Through in World Automobile Trade," Papers 93-14, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Joseph E. Gagnon & Michael M. Knetter, 1993. "Market share and exchange rate pass-through in world automobile trade," International Finance Discussion Papers 446, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Richard H. Clarida, 1992.
"The real exchange rate and US manufacturing profits: a theoretical framework with some empirical support,"
9214, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Clarida, Richard H, 1997. "The Real Exchange Rate and US Manufacturing Profits: A Theoretical Framework with Some Empirical Support," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 2(3), pages 177-87, July.
- Bodnar, Gordon M. & Gentry, William M., 1993. "Exchange rate exposure and industry characteristics: evidence from Canada, Japan, and the USA," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 29-45, February.
- Pinelopi K. Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1996.
"Goods Prices and Exchange Rates: What Have We Learned?,"
NBER Working Papers
5862, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pinelopi Koujianou Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1997. "Goods Prices and Exchange Rates: What Have We Learned?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(3), pages 1243-1272, September.
- Elif C. Arbatli, 2003. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through in Turkey : Looking for Asymmetries," Central Bank Review, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey, vol. 3(2), pages 85-124.
- Uctum, Merih, 1998. "Why Have Corporate Profits Declined? An International Comparison," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(2), pages 234-51, May.
- Kathryn M.E. Dominguez & Linda L. Tesar, 2001.
"Exchange Rate Exposure,"
NBER Working Papers
8453, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jayant Menon, 1994. "Flexible Exchange Rates and Traded Goods Prices: A Theory of the Short-Run," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers g-108, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
- Kiymaz, Halil, 2003. "Estimation of foreign exchange exposure: an emerging market application," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 71-84, February.
- Mallick, Sushanta & Marques, Helena, 2010. "Data frequency and exchange rate pass-through: Evidence from India's exports," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 13-22, January.
- Jorion, Philippe, 1990. "The Exchange-Rate Exposure of U.S. Multinationals," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63(3), pages 331-45, July.
- Hakan Kara & Hande Küçük-Tuger & Ümit Özlale & Burç Tuger & Eray M. Yücel, 2007. "Exchange Rate Regimes And Pass-Through: Evidence From The Turkish Economy," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 25(2), pages 206-225, 04.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tcb:cebare:v:10:y:2010:i:1:p:47-69. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()or () or ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.