Institutional Factors and Market Participation by Individual Farmers: The Case of Romania
This article analyses the impact of institutional factors on market participation by individual farmers in Romania. For this purpose the influence of institutional factors on sales are structured with the help of Williamson's social analysis framework. A logit regression is employed to verify the relation between institutional and other factors and sales. The study finds that high transaction costs in input and output markets, reinforced by low production levels and by the farmers' rejection of cooperation, hinder market participation. Until these factors are addressed, Romanian agriculture will continue to serve as a social buffer rather than a commercial sector.
Volume (Year): 18 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CPCE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CPCE20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kherallah, Mylène & Kirsten, Johann, 2001.
"The new institutional economics,"
MSSD discussion papers
41, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Nigel Key & Elisabeth Sadoulet & Alain De Janvry, 2000. "Transactions Costs and Agricultural Household Supply Response," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(2), pages 245-259.
- Erik Mathijs & Nivelin Noev, 2004. "Subsistence Farming in Central and Eastern Europe : Empirical Evidence from Albania, Bulgaria, Hungary, and Romania," Eastern European Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 42(6), pages 72-89, November.
- Rizov, Marian & Gavrilescu, Dinu & Gow, Hamish & Mathijs, Erik & Swinnen, Johan F. M., 2001. "Transition and Enterprise Restructuring: The Development of Individual Farming in Romania," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(7), pages 1257-1274, July.
- Deininger, Klaus, 1995. "Collective agricultural production: A solution for transition economies?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(8), pages 1317-1334, August.
- Staal, Steven & Delgado, Christopher & Nicholson, Charles, 1997. "Smallholder dairying under transactions costs in East Africa," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 779-794, May.
- Jill E. Hobbs, 1997. "Measuring the Importance of Transaction Costs in Cattle Marketing," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(4), pages 1083-1095.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:pocoec:v:18:y:2006:i:1:p:101-121. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.