Domestic grain market reform in china: the contribution of economic policy research funded by ACIAR
This paper reports an assessment of the impact of economics research into domestic grain marketing policy in China, which was partly supported by the Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research. A financial analysis was conducted to value the contribution of these projects in bringing forward the adoption of more liberalized grain marketing policy. An estimate had to be made of the potential welfare gains from market reform in China because grain marketing policy in China in recent decades has been characterized by periods of reform alternating with periods of retrenchment in the face of uncertainty about how best to ensure food security. Any attempt to attribute some share of these potential gains to a particular research project is highly subjective when there are multiple sources of policy advice. The potential benefit cost ratio from the Australian investment may be in the order of 5 to 10:1.
Volume (Year): 3 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RCEA20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RCEA20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Huang, Jikun & Rozelle, Scott & Martin, William J. & Liu, Yu, 2007. "Distortions to Agricultural Incentives in China," Agricultural Distortions Working Paper 48478, World Bank.
- Jikun Huang & Scott Rozelle & Yuping Xie, 2003. "Distortions at the Border; Integration Inland: Assessing the Effect of WTO Accession on China's Agriculture," Journal of Chinese Economic and Business Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(1), pages 97-116.
- Christopher Findlay, 1997. "Grain Sector Reform in China," Chinese Economies Research Centre (CERC) Working Papers 1997-01, University of Adelaide, Chinese Economies Research Centre.
- Jikun Huang, 2000. "Responsiveness, Flexibility, and Market Liberalization in China's Agriculture," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(5), pages 1133-1139.
- Huang, Jikun & Chen, Chunlai, 1999. "Effects of Trade Liberalization on Agriculture in China: Commodity Aspects," Working Papers 32665, United Nations Centre for Alleviation of Poverty Through Secondary Crops' Development in Asia and the Pacific (CAPSA).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:jocebs:v:3:y:2005:i:1:p:75-94. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.