Using Indonesia's Real Exchange Rate to Test Ricardian Equivalence
Using Indonesia as a study case, this paper analyzes the relationship between the actual real exchange rate, the equilibrium real exchange rate, and other macroeconomic variables. The estimate shows that, out of nine explanatory independent variables, only government consumption and the fiscal deficit have significant effects on the real exchange rate variable. Increases in both government consumption and the fiscal deficit appreciate the real exchange rate. This finding rejects Ricardian equivalence. [E62, F41, O53].
Volume (Year): 12 (1998)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RIEJ20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RIEJ20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David W. Wilcox, 1987.
"Social security benefits, consumption expenditure, and the life cycle hypothesis,"
Working Paper Series / Economic Activity Section
78, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Wilcox, David W, 1989. "Social Security Benefits, Consumption Expenditure, and the Life Cycle Hypothesis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(2), pages 288-304, April.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-1072, June.
- Kim, Yoonbai, 1990. "Purchasing Power Parity in the Long Run: A Cointegration Approach," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 22(4), pages 491-503, November.
- Barro, Robert J, 1974.
"Are Government Bonds Net Wealth?,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(6), pages 1095-1117, Nov.-Dec..
- Banerjee, Anindya & Dolado, Juan J. & Galbraith, John W. & Hendry, David, 1993. "Co-integration, Error Correction, and the Econometric Analysis of Non-Stationary Data," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198288107, December.
- Arnold Harberger, 1986. "Economic Adjustment and the Real Exchange Rate," NBER Chapters, in: Economic Adjustment and Exchange Rates in Developing Countries, pages 369-424 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mohsin S. Khan & Jonathan David Ostry, 1991.
"Response of the Equilibrium Real Exchange Rate to Real Disturbances in Developing Countries,"
IMF Working Papers
91/3, International Monetary Fund.
- Khan, Mohsin S. & Ostry, Jonathan D., 1992. "Response of the equilibrium real exchange rate to real disturbances in developing countries," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 20(9), pages 1325-1334, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:intecj:v:12:y:1998:i:3:p:17-29. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.