Nonparametric tests for conditional independence using conditional distributions
The concept of causality is naturally defined in terms of conditional distribution, however almost all the empirical works focus on causality in mean. This paper aims to propose a nonparametric statistic to test the conditional independence and Granger non-causality between two variables conditionally on another one. The test statistic is based on the comparison of conditional distribution functions using an L 2 metric. We use Nadaraya-Watson method to estimate the conditional distribution functions. We establish the asymptotic size and power properties of the test statistic and we motivate the validity of the local bootstrap. We ran a simulation experiment to investigate the finite sample properties of the test and we illustrate its practical relevance by examining the Granger non-causality between S&P 500 Index returns and VIX volatility index. Contrary to the conventional t -test which is based on a linear mean-regression, we find that VIX index predicts excess returns both at short and long horizons.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 26 (2014)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/GNST20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/GNST20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Meitz, Mika & Saikkonen, Pentti, 2008.
"Ergodicity, Mixing, And Existence Of Moments Of A Class Of Markov Models With Applications To Garch And Acd Models,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(05), pages 1291-1320, October.
- Meitz, Mika & Saikkonen, Pentti, 2004. "Ergodicity, mixing, and existence of moments of a class of Markov models with applications to GARCH and ACD models," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 573, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 20 Apr 2007.
- Mika Meitz & Pentti Saikkonen, 2007. "Ergodicity, mixing, and existence of moments of a class of Markov models with applications to GARCH and ACD models," Economics Series Working Papers 327, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Gourieroux,Christian & Monfort,Alain, 1997. "Time Series and Dynamic Models," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521423083, March.
- Gourieroux,Christian & Monfort,Alain, 1997. "Time Series and Dynamic Models," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521411462, December.
- Su, Liangjun & White, Halbert, 2008. "A Nonparametric Hellinger Metric Test For Conditional Independence," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(04), pages 829-864, August.
- Pierce, David A. & Haugh, Larry D., 1977. "Causality in temporal systems : Characterization and a survey," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 265-293, May.
- Fan, Yanqin & Li, Qi, 2000. "Consistent Model Specification Tests," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(06), pages 1016-1041, December.
- Dufour, Jean-Marie & Taamouti, Abderrahim, 2010. "Short and long run causality measures: Theory and inference," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 154(1), pages 42-58, January.
- Taamouti, Abderrahim & Dufour, Jean-Marie, 2008. "Short and long run causality measures: theory and inference," UC3M Working papers. Economics we083720, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía.
- P. M. Robinson, 1991. "Consistent Nonparametric Entropy-Based Testing," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 58(3), pages 437-453.
- Granger, C. W. J. & Newbold, Paul, 1986. "Forecasting Economic Time Series," Elsevier Monographs, Elsevier, edition 2, number 9780122951831 edited by Shell, Karl.
- Qi Li & Jeffrey Scott Racine, 2006. "Nonparametric Econometrics: Theory and Practice," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, number 8355.
- Cai, Zongwu, 2002. "Regression Quantiles For Time Series," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(01), pages 169-192, February.
- Ait-Sahalia, Yacine & Bickel, Peter J. & Stoker, Thomas M., 2001. "Goodness-of-fit tests for kernel regression with an application to option implied volatilities," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 105(2), pages 363-412, December.
- Carrasco, Marine & Chen, Xiaohong, 2002. "Mixing And Moment Properties Of Various Garch And Stochastic Volatility Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(01), pages 17-39, February.
- Saidi, Abdessamad & Roy, Roch, 2008. "Robust Optimal Tests For Causality In Multivariate Time Series," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(04), pages 948-987, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)