What Determines Alumni Generosity? Evidence for the UK
This paper examines the scale and determinants of alumni giving, using datasets from two public-sector, doctoral-granting universities in the UK. The importance of alumni generosity-both as revenue and as a performance measure-is considered, comparing new UK evidence with extant findings on US donor behaviour. Evidence is presented on systematic differences in alumni generosity, based on personal characteristics, solicitation efficiency, and the characteristics and quality of the Higher Education received by graduates. Distinguishing the propensity to give from the scale of giving, there are evident differences by gender, income, by type of campaign and by subject studied.
Volume (Year): 8 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CEDE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CEDE20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James, Estelle, et al, 1989. "College Quality and Future Earnings: Where Should You Send Your Child to College?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(2), pages 247-252, May.
- Andreoni, James, 1989. "Giving with Impure Altruism: Applications to Charity and Ricardian Equivalence," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 97(6), pages 1447-1458, December.
- Rothschild, Michael & White, Lawrence J, 1995. "The Analytics of the Pricing of Higher Education and Other Services in Which the Customers Are Inputs," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(3), pages 573-586, June.
- Auten, Gerald E. & Rudney, Gabriel G., 1986. "Tax reform and individual giving to higher education," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 167-178, April.
- Harbaugh, William T, 1998. "The Prestige Motive for Making Charitable Transfers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(2), pages 277-282, May.
- Baade, Robert A. & Sundberg, Jeffrey O., 1996. "What determines alumni generosity?," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 75-81, February.
- Harbaugh, William T., 1998. "What do donations buy?: A model of philanthropy based on prestige and warm glow," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 269-284, February.
- Harrison, William B., 1995. "College relations and fund-raising expenditures: Influencing the probability of alumni giving to higher education," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 73-84, March.
- Eric A. Hanushek, 1998. "Conclusions and controversies about the effectiveness of school resources," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Mar, pages 11-27.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:edecon:v:8:y:2000:i:1:p:65-80. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.