A Review of Recent Advances and Future Directions in the Quantitative Literature on Civil War
This paper reviews the booming literature on civil war. It presents the major theoretical perspectives and key empirical results on the determinants of civil war. The paper identifies controversies in the field and suggests ways to improve and organize our research. The conclusion outlines possible future directions for research on civil wars.
Volume (Year): 13 (2002)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/GDPE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/GDPE20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Collier, Paul & Hoeffler, Anke, 2000.
"Greed and grievance in civil war,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2355, The World Bank.
- Fearon, James D., 1995. "Rationalist explanations for war," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 49(03), pages 379-414, June.
- T. David Mason & Patrick J. Fett, 1996. "How Civil Wars End," Journal of Conflict Resolution, Peace Science Society (International), vol. 40(4), pages 546-568, December.
- S. Brock Blomberg & Gregory D. Hess, 2002. "The Temporal Links between Conflict and Economic Activity," Journal of Conflict Resolution, Peace Science Society (International), vol. 46(1), pages 74-90, February.
- Michelle R Garfinkel & Stergios Skaperdas, 2001.
"Conflict Without Misperceptions or Incomplete Information: How the Future Matters,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
563824000000000011, David K. Levine.
- Garfinkel, M.R. & Skaperdas, S., 2000. "Conflict without Misperceptions or Incomplete Information: how the Future Matters," Papers 99-00-11, California Irvine - School of Social Sciences.
- Paul Collier & Anke Hoeffler & MÃ¥ns SÃ¶derbom, 2004.
"On the Duration of Civil War,"
Journal of Peace Research,
Peace Research Institute Oslo, vol. 41(3), pages 253-273, May.
- Bates, R.H., 2000.
"Ethicity, Capital Formation, and Conflict,"
27, Chicago - Graduate School of Business.
- Walter, Barbara F., 1997. "The Critical Barrier to Civil War Settlement," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 51(03), pages 335-364, June.
- Elbadawi, Ibrahim A. & Sambanis, Nicholas, 2000. "External interventions and the duration of civil wars," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2433, The World Bank.
- Fearon, James D. & Laitin, David D., 2000. "Violence and the Social Construction of Ethnic Identity," International Organization, Cambridge University Press, vol. 54(04), pages 845-877, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:defpea:v:13:y:2002:i:3:p:215-243. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.