The economic effect of the Canadian BSE outbreak on the US economy
Before the discovery of the first Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE) cow in May 2003, Canada was the most important exporter of live cattle into the US with a share of 74% of US total live cattle imports. With the outbreak of BSE in Canada, the US ceased imports of Canadian cattle and beef products. This study analyses the short to medium-term effect of the import trade ban for the US economy using a 20 sector, economy wide Computable General Equilibrium (CGE) model. Uncertainty about exogenous elasticity values was addressed using Monte Carlo techniques. Beneficiaries of the trade ban are the cattle industry and related sectors, such as feed production and agricultural service providers. The US economy as a whole, however, is negatively affected with a loss of ∼$-1.7 billion in gross domestic product and -11000 jobs. The model shows how the restriction on Canadian cattle imports generates income losses for both rich and poor households in the US.
Volume (Year): 42 (2010)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul Caskie & John Davis & Joan Moss, 1999. "The economic impact of BSE: a regional perspective," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(12), pages 1623-1630.
- Paul S. Armington, 1969. "A Theory of Demand for Products Distinguished by Place of Production (Une thÃ©orie de la demande de produits diffÃ©renciÃ©s d'aprÃ¨s leur origine) (Una teorÃa de la demanda de productos distinguiÃ©nd," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 16(1), pages 159-178, March.
- Harrison, Glenn W. & Jones, Richard & Kimbell, Larry J. & Wigle, Randal, 1993. "How robust is applied general equilibrium analysis?," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 99-115, February.
- Devadoss, Stephen & Holland, David W. & Stodick, Leroy & Ghosh, Joydeep, 2006. "A General Equilibrium Analysis of Foreign and Domestic Demand Shocks Arising from Mad Cow Disease in the United States," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 31(02), August.
- John Gilbert, 2003. "Trade Liberalization and Employment in Developing Economies of the Americas," Economie Internationale, CEPII research center, issue 94-95, pages 155-174.
- Arndt, Channing, 1996. "An Introduction to Systematic Sensitivity Analysis via Gaussian Quadrature," GTAP Technical Papers 305, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Scott McDonald & Deborah Roberts, 1998. "The Economy-Wide Effects of the BSE Crisis: A CGE Analysis," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(3), pages 458-471.
- David Abler & Adrián Rodríguez & James Shortle, 1999. "Parameter Uncertainty in CGE Modeling of the Environmental Impacts of Economic Policies," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 14(1), pages 75-94, July.
- Harrison, Glenn W & Vinod, H D, 1992. "The Sensitivity Analysis of Applied General Equilibrium Models: Completely Randomized Factorial Sampling Designs," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(2), pages 357-62, May.
- Donnelly, William A. & Johnson, Kyle & Tsigas, Marinos E. & Ingersoll, David, 2004. "Revised Armington Elasticities of Substitution for the USITC Model and the Concordance for Constructing a Consistent Set for the GTAP Model," Working Papers 15861, United States International Trade Commission, Office of Economics.
- Thomas Marsh & Ted Schroeder & James Mintert, 2004. "Impacts of meat product recalls on consumer demand in the USA," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(9), pages 897-909.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:applec:v:42:y:2010:i:8:p:935-946. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.