Alcohol availability and crime: a robust approach
The relationship between alcohol availability and crime is investigated in this study. It first considers common parametric specifications that have been used in the literature. After applying a powerful consistent conditional moment test for correct specification, it is found that these common parametric specifications are rejected by the data. The study then proceeds with a robust nonparametric method that can have a rate of convergence close to that for a correctly specified parametric model when the underlying relationship is somewhat linear. The application of nonparametric methods reveals structure present in the data that would remain undetected when applying common parametric specifications, but more importantly reveals that the impact of alcohol availability is considerably higher than one might believe on the basis of the misspecified parametric model. It is also found that the marginal effect of alcohol availability on crime changes with the level of alcohol availability.
Volume (Year): 38 (2006)
Issue (Month): 11 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Racine, Jeff & Li, Qi, 2004. "Nonparametric estimation of regression functions with both categorical and continuous data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 119(1), pages 99-130, March.
- Todd Cherry & John List, 2002.
"Aggregation bias in the economic model of crime,"
Natural Field Experiments
00512, The Field Experiments Website.
- Henry Saffer & Frank Chaloupka, 1995.
"The Demand for Illicit Drugs,"
NBER Working Papers
5238, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Li, Qi & Racine, Jeff, 2003. "Nonparametric estimation of distributions with categorical and continuous data," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 266-292, August.
- Frank J. Chaloupka & Henry Wechsler, 1996. "Binge Drinking In College: The Impact Of Price, Availability, And Alcohol Control Policies," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 14(4), pages 112-124, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:applec:v:38:y:2006:i:11:p:1293-1307. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.