Demand shocks and firm-financed R&D expenditures
Business cycles might affect firms' ability and incentive to perform R&D. Firms finance most R&D activities out of cash flow so when cash flow decreases the funds available for R&D also decreases. This limits the ability of firms to perform R&D, potentially leading to reduced R&D expenditures during recessions. However, business cycles also influence the incentive to perform R&D. The opportunity cost of funds devoted to R&D falls during recessions since the return on production will likely be lower than during an expansion. During recessions, this provides firms with an incentive to redistribute an existing pool of funds away from production and towards R&D projects. This paper tests whether the business cycle influences the incentive and ability of firms to engage in R&D activities, in particular examining whether the response is symmetric across the business cycle.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 36 (2004)
Issue (Month): 14 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Benoît Mulkay & Bronwyn H, Hall & Jacques Mairesse, 2000.
"Firm Level Investment and R&D in France and the United States : A Comparison,"
2000-49, Center for Research in Economics and Statistics.
- Benoit Mulkay & Bronwyn H. Hall & Jacques Mairesse, 2001. "Firm Level Investment and R&D in France and the United States: A Comparison," Economics Papers 2001-W2, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Benoit Mulkay & Bronwyn H. Hall & Jacques Mairesse, 2000. "Firm Level Investment and R&D in France and the United States: A Comparison," NBER Working Papers 8038, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yongcheol Shin & Ron P Smith & Mohammad Hashem Pesaran, 1998. "Pooled Mean Group Estimation of Dynamic Heterogeneous Panels," ESE Discussion Papers 16, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Im, Kyung So & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 2003. "Testing for unit roots in heterogeneous panels," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 53-74, July.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995. "Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "IPSHIN: RATS procedure to implement Im, Pesaran and Shin panel unit root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00098, Boston College Department of Economics.