Sectoral employment effects of trade and productivity in Europe
The impact of trade and technology in the European case is assessed. A framework is developed which incorporates employment effects of (i) export expansion (ii) import competition and (iii) labour-saving productivity improvements. In this context, evidence is found for the hypothesis that international trade induces adjustments in technology.
Volume (Year): 35 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Damien NEVEN. & Charles WYPLOSZ, 1996.
"Relative Prices, Trade and Restructuring in European Industry,"
Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP)
9615, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Neven, Damien J & Wyplosz, Charles, 1996. "Relative Prices, Trade and Restructuring in European Industry," CEPR Discussion Papers 1451, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hilde Vandenbussche & Jozef Konings, 1998.
"Globalization and the effects of national versus international competition on the labour market. Theory and evidence from Belgian firm level data,"
Working Papers Department of Economics
ces9821, KU Leuven, Faculty of Economics and Business, Department of Economics.
- Hylke Vandenbussche & Jozef Konings, 1998. "Globalisation and the Effects of National Versus International Competition on the Labour Market: Theory and Evidence from Belgian Firm Level Data," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 21(8), pages 1151-1177, November.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975.
"Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
64, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 297-308, June.
- Huizinga, H.P., 1993.
"International market integration and union wage bargaining,"
Other publications TiSEM
567712dd-8f03-40d8-8428-c, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Huizinga, Harry, 1993. " International Market Integration and Union Wage Bargaining," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 95(2), pages 249-55.
- Keith E. Maskus, 1991. "Comparing International Trade Data and Product and National Characteristics Data for the Analysis of Trade Models," NBER Chapters, in: International Economic Transactions: Issues in Measurement and Empirical Research, pages 17-60 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul Krugman & Robert Lawrence, 1993. "Trade, Jobs, and Wages," NBER Working Papers 4478, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew B. Bernard & J. Bradford Jensen, 2000.
"Exporting and Productivity,"
00-07, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Davis, Donald R, 1998. "Does European Unemployment Prop Up American Wages? National Labor Markets and Global Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 88(3), pages 478-94, June.
- Bénédicte Larre, 1995. "The Impact of Trade on Labour Markets: An Analysis by Industry," OECD Jobs Study Working Papers 6, OECD Publishing.
- Brander, James A. & Spencer, Barbara J., 1988. "Unionized oligopoly and international trade policy," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3-4), pages 217-234, May.
- Bertola, Giuseppe, 1990. "Job security, employment and wages," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 851-879, June.
- Garibaldi, Pietro, 1998.
"Job flow dynamics and firing restrictions,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 245-275, February.
- Samuel Bentolila & Giuseppe Bertola, 1990. "Firing Costs and Labour Demand: How Bad is Eurosclerosis?," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 57(3), pages 381-402.
- Mezzetti, C. & Dinopoulos, E., 1989.
"Domestic Unionization And Import Competition,"
337, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Phillip Swagel & Matthew J. Slaughter, 1997. "The Effect of Globalization on Wages in the Advanced Economies," IMF Working Papers 97/43, International Monetary Fund.
- Eli Berman & John Bound & Zvi Griliches, 1994. "Changes in the Demand for Skilled Labor within U. S. Manufacturing: Evidence from the Annual Survey of Manufactures," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 109(2), pages 367-397.
- Andrew B. Bernard & J. Bradford Jensen, 1997.
"Exceptional Exporter Performance: Cause, Effect, or Both?,"
NBER Working Papers
6272, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernard, Andrew B. & Bradford Jensen, J., 1999. "Exceptional exporter performance: cause, effect, or both?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 1-25, February.
- Bernard, A., 1997. "Exceptional Exporter Performance: Cause, Effect, or Both?," Working papers 97-21, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Fair, Ray C, 1970. "The Estimation of Simultaneous Equation Models with Lagged Endogenous Variables and First Order Serially Correlated Errors," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 38(3), pages 507-16, May.
- Naylor, Robin, 1998. "International trade and economic integration when labour markets are generally unionised," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(7), pages 1251-1267, July.
- Wood, Adrian, 1995. "North-South Trade, Employment and Inequality: Changing Fortunes in a Skill-Driven World," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198290155, June.
- Decressin, Jorg & Fatas, Antonio, 1995.
"Regional labor market dynamics in Europe,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 1627-1655, December.
- David Card & Francis Kramarz & Thomas Lemieux, 1999.
"Changes in the Relative Structure of Wages and Employment: A Comparison of the United States, Canada, and France,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 32(4), pages 843-877, August.
- David Card & Francis Kramarz & Thomas Lemieux, 1996. "Changes in the Relative Structure of Wages and Employment: A Comparison of the United States, Canada, and France," NBER Working Papers 5487, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Driffill, John & van der Ploeg, Frederick, 1995. " Trade Liberalization with Imperfect Competition in Goods and Labour Markets," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 97(2), pages 223-43, June.
- Gaston, Noel & Trefler, Daniel, 1995. "Union wage sensitivity to trade and protection: Theory and evidence," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 1-25, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:applec:v:35:y:2003:i:2:p:223-238. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.