Are dividend and investment decisions separable?
In this study, we address an econometric issue which has so far been neglected by the empirical studies on separation principle. The earlier studies largely applied Granger causality test by differencing the data if they are integrated time series. Such an approach produces specification bias if integrated variables in level are cointegrated and thus, ignoring the long run dynamics among the variables. To circumvent this problem, we test for cointegration between investments and dividends and estimate a dynamic panel vector error correction model. Annual time series data over the period 1995 to 2008 for various sectors chosen on the basis of the available sectoral indices of National Stock Exchange are considered for empirical analysis. The empirical evidence derived from group mean and lambda-Pearson tests seem to indicate that there is long run causal link between investments and dividends and therefore, firms' decisions regarding dividend payout and investments are inseparable.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 21 (2011)
Issue (Month): 20 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAFE20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mbodja Mougoue, 2008. "An empirical re-examination of the dividend-investment relation," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(5), pages 533-546.
- Ieuan G. Morgan & Jacques Saint-Pierre, 1978. "Dividend and Investment Decisions of Canadian Firms," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 11(1), pages 20-37, February.
- McDonald, John G. & Jacquillat, Bertrand & Nussenbaum, Maurice, 1975. "Dividend, Investment and Financing Decisions: Empirical Evidence on French Firms," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(05), pages 741-755, December.
- Maddala, G S & Wu, Shaowen, 1999. " A Comparative Study of Unit Root Tests with Panel Data and a New Simple Test," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 631-52, Special I.
- Mougoue, Mbodja & Mukherjee, Tarun K, 1994. "An Investigation into the Causality among Firms' Dividend, Investment, and Financing Decisions," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 17(4), pages 517-30, Winter.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015.
"Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Merton H. Miller & Franco Modigliani, 1961. "Dividend Policy, Growth, and the Valuation of Shares," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 34, pages 411.
- Pedroni, Peter, 1999.
" Critical Values for Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels with Multiple Regressors,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 653-70, Special I.
- Peter Pedroni, 1999. "Critical Values for Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels with Multiple Regressors," Department of Economics Working Papers 2000-02, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Peter Pedroni, 2000.
"Fully Modified OLS for Heterogeneous Cointegrated Panels,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
2000-03, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Tom Doan, . "PANELFM: RATS procedure to perform panel data group mean FMOLS," Statistical Software Components RTS00151, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Roselyne Joyeux & Ronald D. Ripple, 2004. "The Evaluation of Standard of Living and the Role of Household Electricity Consumption - A Panel Cointegration Analysis," Research Papers 0410, Macquarie University, Department of Economics.
- Im, Kyung So & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 2003.
"Testing for unit roots in heterogeneous panels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 53-74, July.
- Tom Doan, . "IPSHIN: RATS procedure to implement Im, Pesaran and Shin panel unit root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00098, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995. "Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Saumitra N. Bhaduri & S. Raja Sethu Durai, 2006. "Empirical relationship between the dividend and investment decision: do emerging market firms behave differently?," Applied Financial Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 2(3), pages 155-158, May.
- Pedroni, Peter, 2004.
"Panel Cointegration: Asymptotic And Finite Sample Properties Of Pooled Time Series Tests With An Application To The Ppp Hypothesis,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(03), pages 597-625, June.
- Peter Pedroni, 2004. "Panel Cointegration: Asymptotic and Finite Sample Properties of Pooled Time Series Tests with an Application to the PPP Hypothesis," Department of Economics Working Papers 2004-15, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Smirlock, Michael & Marshall, William, 1983. " An Examination of the Empirical Relationship between the Dividend and Investment Decisions: A Note," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(5), pages 1659-67, December.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1974. "The Empirical Relationships Between the Dividend and Investment Decisions of Firms," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(3), pages 304-18, June.
- Phoebus J. Dhrymes & Mordecai Kurz, 1967. "Investment, Dividend, and External Finance Behavior of Firms," NBER Chapters, in: Determinants of Investment Behavior, pages 427-485 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- McCabe, George M., 1979. "The Empirical Relationship Between Investment and Financing: A New Look," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(01), pages 119-135, March.
- Pruitt, Stephen W & Gitman, Lawrence J, 1991. "The Interactions between the Investment, Financing, and Dividend Decisions of Major U.S. Firms," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 26(3), pages 409-30, August.
- Carl Chiarella & Toan Pham & Ah Boon Sim & Madeleine Tan, 1991. "The Interaction of the Financing and Investment Decisions: Preliminary Results in the Australian Context," Working Paper Series 4, Finance Discipline Group, UTS Business School, University of Technology, Sydney.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apfiec:v:21:y:2011:i:20:p:1515-1524. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.