Liquidity and price volatility of cross-listed French stocks
The changes in the volatility and liquidity of French stocks are examined before and after their cross-listing on the German electronic market, the Xetra. The results are mixed in terms of the change in liquidity and volatility of stocks after cross-listing. It is found that for many stocks volatility of stock prices increases and liquidity declines after cross-listing. Furthermore, similar results are obtained when market volatility in the Paris Bourse is controlled for. These results suggest the migration of orders to the Xetra and the deterioration of the quality of the Paris Bourse with the cross listing of French stocks on the German market, especially for those stocks that are continuously traded on the Xetra. These results seem to be against the integration of the French and German markets during the period analysed in this study. Furthermore, the findings indicate that the trading scheme and the characteristics of the stock should be considered in examining the cross-listing effects.
Volume (Year): 15 (2005)
Issue (Month): 15 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAFE20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pagano, Marco & Randl, Otto & Röell, Ailsa A & Zechner, Josef, 2001.
"What Makes Stock Exchanges Succeed? Evidence from Cross-Listing Decisions,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2683, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pagano, Marco & Randl, Otto & Roell, Ailsa A. & Zechner, Josef, 2001. "What makes stock exchanges succeed? Evidence from cross-listing decisions," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(4-6), pages 770-782, May.
- Marco Pagano & Otto Randl & Ailsa A. Röell & Josef Zechner, 2000. "What Makes Stock Exchanges Succeed? Evidence from Cross-Listing Decisions," CSEF Working Papers 50, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Coppejans, Mark & Domowitz, Ian, 2000. "The Impact of Foreign Equity Ownership on Emerging Market Share Price Volatility," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 3(1), pages 95-122, April.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987.
"A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-08, May.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014. "A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986. "A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix," NBER Technical Working Papers 0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jayaraman, Narayanan & Shastri, Kuldeep & Tandon, Kishore, 1993. "The impact of international cross listings on risk and return : The evidence from American depository receipts," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 91-103, February.
- Alexander, Gordon J & Eun, Cheol S & Janakiramanan, S, 1987. " Asset Pricing and Dual Listing on Foreign Capital Markets: A Note," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(1), pages 151-58, March.
- Rene M. Stulz, 1999. "Globalization of Equity Markets and the Cost of Capital," NBER Working Papers 7021, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fratzscher, M., 2001.
"Financial Market Integration in Europe: On the Effects of EMU on Stock Markets,"
48, Quebec a Montreal - Recherche en gestion.
- Fratzscher, Marcel, 2002. "Financial Market Integration in Europe: On the Effects of EMU on Stock Markets," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(3), pages 165-93, July.
- Fratzscher, Marcel, 2001. "Financial market integration in Europe: on the effects of EMU on stock markets," Working Paper Series 0048, European Central Bank.
- Marco Pagano & Ailsa A. Roell & Joseph Zechner, 1999.
"The Geography of Equity Listing; Why Do Companies List Abroad?,"
CSEF Working Papers
28, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy, revised 01 Sep 2001.
- Marco Pagano & Ailsa A. Röell & Josef Zechner, 2002. "The Geography of Equity Listing: Why Do Companies List Abroad?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(6), pages 2651-2694, December.
- Pagano, Marco & Röell, Ailsa A & Zechner, Josef, 2001. "The Geography of Equity Listing: Why Do Companies List Abroad?," CEPR Discussion Papers 2681, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bruno Biais & Christophe Bisière & Jean‐Paul Décamps, 1999.
"Short Sales Constraints, Liquidity and Price Discovery: An Empirical Analysis on the Paris Bourse,"
European Financial Management,
European Financial Management Association, vol. 5(3), pages 395-410.
- Biais, B. & Bisiere, C. & Decamps, J.-P., 1997. "Short Sales COnstraints, Liquidity and Price Discovery: An Empirical Analysis on the Paris Bourse," Papers 97.485, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Bekaert, Geert & Harvey, Campbell R., 1997.
"Emerging equity market volatility,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 29-77, January.
- Lowengrub, Paul & Melvin, Michael, 2002. "Before and after international cross-listing: an intraday examination of volume and volatility," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 139-155, April.
- Centeno, Mario & Mello, Antonio S., 1999. "How integrated are the money market and the bank loans market within the European Union?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 75-106, January.
- Noronha, Gregory M. & Sarin, Atulya & Saudagaran, Shahrokh M., 1996. "Testing for micro-structure effects of international dual listings using intraday data," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 965-983, July.
- Jorion, Philippe & Schwartz, Eduardo, 1986. " Integration vs. Segmentation in the Canadian Stock Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 41(3), pages 603-14, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apfiec:v:15:y:2005:i:15:p:1079-1094. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.