Muscle drain versus brain gain in association football: technology transfer through player emigration and manager immigration
To test theories of migration and economic development, this article examines whether international football teams benefit from having players playing abroad in stronger leagues and from employing managers from countries with stronger leagues. The results provide evidence in support of the former effect. However, there is a negative impact from employing managers from countries with superior leagues.
Volume (Year): 21 (2014)
Issue (Month): 7 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEL20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J. Alvarez & D. Forrest & I. Sanz & JdD Tena, 2009.
"Impact of Importing Foreign Talent on Performance Levels of Local Co-Workers,"
Working Paper CRENoS
200914, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Alvarez, J. & Forrest, D. & Sanz, I. & Tena, J.D., 2011. "Impact of importing foreign talent on performance levels of local co-workers," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 287-296, June.
- J. Alverez & David Forrest & I. Sanz & J. D. Tena, 2008. "Impact of Importing Foreign Talent on Performance Levels of Local Co-workers," IASE Conference Papers 0823, International Association of Sports Economists.
- Stark, Oded & Wang, Yong, 2001.
"Inducing Human Capital Formation: Migration as a Substitute for Subsidies,"
100, Institute for Advanced Studies.
- Stark, Oded & Wang, Yong, 2002. "Inducing human capital formation: migration as a substitute for subsidies," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 29-46, October.
- Docquier, Frédéric & Faye, Ousmane & Pestieau, Pierre, 2008.
"Is migration a good substitute for education subsidies?,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 263-276, June.
- Docquier, Frederic & Faye, Ousmane & Pestieau, Pierre, 2008. "Is migration a good substitute for education subsidies ?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4614, The World Bank.
- DOCQUIER, Frédéric & FAYE, Ousmane & PESTIEAU, Pierre, . "Is migration a good substitute for education subsidies?," CORE Discussion Papers RP 2022, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Michel, BEINE & Cecily, DEFOORT & Frédéric, DOCQUIER, 2007.
"A Panel Data Analysis of the Brain Gain,"
Discussion Papers (ECON - Département des Sciences Economiques)
2007024, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Robert Hoffmann & Lee Chew Ging & Bala Ramasamy, 2002. "The Socio-Economic Determinants of International Soccer Performance," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 5, pages 253-272, November.
- Dirk G. Baur & Sibylle Lehmann, 2007. "Does the Mobility of Football Players Influence the Success of the National Team?," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp217, IIIS.
- Eiji Yamamura, 2009. "Technology transfer and convergence of performance: an economic study of FIFA football ranking," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(3), pages 261-266.
- Ruxanda Berlinschi & Jeroen Schokkaert & Johan F.M. Swinnen, 2010.
"When Drains and Gains Coincide: Migration and International Football Performance,"
LICOS Discussion Papers
26510, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Berlinschi, Ruxanda & Schokkaert, Jeroen & Swinnen, Johan, 2013. "When drains and gains coincide: Migration and international football performance," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(C), pages 1-14.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apeclt:v:21:y:2014:i:7:p:490-493. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.