Impact of Importing Foreign Talent on Performance Levels of Local Co-workers
When skilled labour is imported, skill levels of local workers may be raised by contact with new techniques and practices. European basketball offers an opportunity to test this general claim. For a panel of 47 countries observed over more than twenty years, we model probability of qualification for, and performance in, international tournaments. We demonstrate that an increase in the number of foreigners in a domestic league tends to generate an improvement in the performance of the national team (which comprises only local players). Given this, we develop a theoretical framework for how a regulator might take this into account.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.cdes.fr/index.php?id=fr69|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Todd Idson & Leo Kahane, 2004. "Teammate effects on pay," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(12), pages 731-733.
- Benno Torgler & Sascha Schmidt, 2007.
"What shapes player performance in soccer? Empirical findings from a panel analysis,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(18), pages 2355-2369.
- Benno Torgler & Sascha Schmidt, 2005. "What Shapes Players? Performance in Soccer? Empirical Findings from a Panel Analysis," CREMA Working Paper Series 2005-25, Center for Research in Economics, Management and the Arts (CREMA), revised Jan 2006.
- Idson, Todd L & Kahane, Leo H, 2000. "Team Effects on Compensation: An Application to Salary Determination in the National Hockey League," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 38(2), pages 345-57, April.
- Michael Kremer, 1993. "The O-Ring Theory of Economic Development," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 108(3), pages 551-575.
- Todd D. Kendall, 2003. "Spillovers, Complementarities, and Sorting in Labor Markets with an Application to Professional Sports," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 70(2), pages 389-402, October.
- Simonetta Longhi & Peter Nijkamp & Jacques Poot, 2004.
"A Meta-Analytic Assessment of the Effect of Immigration on Wages,"
Population Studies Centre Discussion Papers
dp-47, University of Waikato, Population Studies Centre.
- Simonetta Longhi & Peter Nijkamp & Jacques Poot, 2005. "A Meta-Analytic Assessment of the Effect of Immigration on Wages," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(3), pages 451-477, 07.
- Simonetta Longhi & Peter Nijkamp & Jacques Poot, 2004. "A Meta-Analytic Assessment of the Effect of Immigration on Wages," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 04-134/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Andrew B. Bernard & Meghan R. Busse, 2004. "Who Wins the Olympic Games: Economic Resources and Medal Totals," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 86(1), pages 413-417, February.
- Dirk G. Baur & Sibylle Lehmann, 2007. "Does the Mobility of Football Players Influence the Success of the National Team?," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp217, IIIS.
- Robert Hoffmann & Lee Chew Ging & Bala Ramasamy, 2002. "The Socio-Economic Determinants of International Soccer Performance," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 5, pages 253-272, November.
- Robert J. Barro, 2013.
"Inflation and Economic Growth,"
Annals of Economics and Finance,
Society for AEF, vol. 14(1), pages 121-144, May.
- Battu, Harminder & Belfield, Clive R. & Sloane, Peter J., 2001. "Human Capital Spill-Overs Within the Workplace," IZA Discussion Papers 404, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Zak, Thomas A & Huang, Cliff J & Siegfried, John J, 1979. "Production Efficiency: The Case of Professional Basketball," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 52(3), pages 379-92, July.
- Imad A. Moosa & Lee Smith, 2004. "Economic Development Indicators as Determinants of Medal Winning at the Sydney Olympics: An Extreme Bounds Analysis," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(3), pages 288-301, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spe:cpaper:0823. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Victor Matheson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.