Delinquency, schooling, and work: time allocation decision of youth
This paper examines the possible factors that affect the time allocation decision of youth between delinquency, schooling, and work. Based on a joint-decision model, evidence from Montreal shows that influences from different social institutions such as family, church, school, peers, and the workplace are important determinants of how young people decide to spend their time on various activities. The findings provided here take into account the joint-decision nature of the problem and therefore provide more precise estimates than those of the existing literature.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 10 (2003)
Issue (Month): 15 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEL20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grogger, Jeff, 1998.
"Market Wages and Youth Crime,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(4), pages 756-91, October.
- Joanne M. Doyle & Ehsan Ahmed & Robert N. Horn, 1999. "The Effects of Labor Markets and Income Inequality on Crime: Evidence from Panel Data," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 65(4), pages 717-738, April.
- Christian Dustmann & Najma Rajah, 1997.
"Teenage truancy, part-time working and wages,"
IFS Working Papers
W97/13, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Hashimoto, Masanori, 1987. "The Minimum Wage Law and Youth Crimes: Time-series Evidence," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 30(2), pages 443-64, October.
- Ruhm, Christopher J, 1997.
"Is High School Employment Consumption or Investment?,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(4), pages 735-76, October.
- Christopher J. Ruhm, 1995. "Is High School Employment Consumption or Investment?," NBER Working Papers 5030, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Light, Audrey, 1998. "Estimating Returns to Schooling: When Does the Career Begin?," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 31-45, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apeclt:v:10:y:2003:i:15:p:943-949. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.