The choice of time interval in seasonal adjustment: A heuristic approach
A typical problem of the seasonal adjustment procedures arises when the series to be adjusted is subject to structural breaks. In fact, using the full span of the series can result in a biased estimation of the ”true” seasonal adjusted series, with unclear evidence showed by the usual diagnostic tests. In these cases the researcher has to decide where to cut-o the observed series to obtain a homogeneous span; this is generally performed by a simple visual inspection studies of the graph of the series and/or using a-priori information about the occurrence of the break. In this paper we propose a statistical criterion based on a distance measure between filters, evaluating its performance with Monte Carlo experiments.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 47 (2006)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com/statistics/business/journal/362|
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1993.
"Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point,"
Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 821-56, July.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1990. "Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 943, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Werner Ploberger, 1992.
"Optimal Tests When a Nuisance Parameter Is Present Only Under the Alternative,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1015, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Andrews, Donald W K & Ploberger, Werner, 1994. "Optimal Tests When a Nuisance Parameter Is Present Only under the Alternative," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(6), pages 1383-1414, November.
- Ghysels, E. & Perron, P., 1990.
"The Effect Of Seasonal Adjustment Filters On Tests For A Unit Root,"
355, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Ghysels, Eric & Perron, Pierre, 1993. "The effect of seasonal adjustment filters on tests for a unit root," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 55(1-2), pages 57-98.
- Ghysels, Eric & Perron, Pierre, 1996.
"The effect of linear filters on dynamic time series with structural change,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 69-97, January.
- Perron, P. & Ghysels, E., 1994. "The Effect of Linear Filters on Dynamic Time series with Structural Change," Cahiers de recherche 9425, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Perron, P. & Ghysels, E., 1994. "The Effect of Linear Filters on Dynamic Time series with Structural Change," Cahiers de recherche 9425, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Agustín Maravall, 1996. "Unobserved Components in Economic Time Series," Banco de Espa�a Working Papers 9609, Banco de Espa�a.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:stpapr:v:47:y:2006:i:3:p:393-417. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.