The Impact of Different Types of Resource Transfers on Individual Wellbeing: An Analysis of Quality of Life Using CASP-12
This paper uses data for Spain from the Survey of Health, Ageing and Retirement in Europe (release 2.3.1) to model the determinants of the quality of life of the elderly, paying special attention to their intergenerational relations. The aim is to study CASP-12 (a social functional index) and explore the effect of interdependency in terms of the transfer of the resources of time and money between the elderly and other family members. To do so, we estimate a latent class model to explore the determinants of wellbeing. This allows us to distinguish between two different subpopulations, whose quality of life is modeled in different ways and who potentially would require different types of public care policies. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media B.V. 2013
Volume (Year): 110 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/11135|
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eric Bonsang, 2008.
"Does Informal Care from Children to their Elderly Parents Substitute for Formal Care in Europe?,"
CREPP Working Papers
0801, Centre de Recherche en Economie Publique et de la Population (CREPP) (Research Center on Public and Population Economics) HEC-Management School, University of Liège.
- Bonsang, Eric, 2009. "Does informal care from children to their elderly parents substitute for formal care in Europe?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 143-154, January.
- Gwozdz, Wencke & Sousa-Poza, Alfonso, 2009.
"Ageing, Health and Life Satisfaction of the Oldest Old: An Analysis for Germany,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4053, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Wencke Gwozdz & Alfonso Sousa-Poza, 2010. "Ageing, Health and Life Satisfaction of the Oldest Old: An Analysis for Germany," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 97(3), pages 397-417, July.
- Ada Ferrer-i-Carbonell & Paul Frijters, 2004. "How Important is Methodology for the estimates of the determinants of Happiness?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 114(497), pages 641-659, 07.
- Andrew Clark & Fabrice Etilé & Fabien Postel-Vinay & Claudia Senik & Karine Van der Straeten, 2005.
"Heterogeneity in Reported Well-Being: Evidence from Twelve European Countries,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 115(502), pages C118-C132, 03.
- Andrew E. Clark & Fabrice Etilé & Fabien Postel-Vinay & Claudia Senik & Karine Van der Straeten, 2004. "Heterogeneity in reported well-being: evidence from twelve european countries," DELTA Working Papers 2004-01, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Clark, Andrew E. & Etilé, Fabrice & Postel-Vinay, Fabien & Senik, Claudia & Van der Straeten, Karine, 2004. "Heterogeneity in Reported Well-Being: Evidence from Twelve European Countries," IZA Discussion Papers 1339, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Conway, Karen Smith & Deb, Partha, 2005.
"Is prenatal care really ineffective? Or, is the 'devil' in the distribution?,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 489-513, May.
- Partha Deb & Karen Smith Conway, 2002. "Is Prenatal Care Really Ineffective? Or, is the 'Devil' in the Distribution?," Economics Working Paper Archive at Hunter College 02/2, Hunter College Department of Economics.
- Sirven, Nicolas & Debrand, Thierry, 2008. "Social participation and healthy ageing: An international comparison using SHARE data," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 67(12), pages 2017-2026, December.
- Arrondel, L. & Masson, A., 1999.
"Family Transfers Involving Three Generations,"
DELTA Working Papers
1999-16, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Arrondel, Luc & Masson, Andre, 2006.
"Altruism, exchange or indirect reciprocity: what do the data on family transfers show?,"
Handbook on the Economics of Giving, Reciprocity and Altruism,
- Luc Arrondel & André Masson, 2002. "Altruism, Exchange or Indirect Reciprocity: What do the Data on Family Transfers Show?," DELTA Working Papers 2002-18, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- R. Wiggins & G. Netuveli & M. Hyde & P. Higgs & D. Blane, 2008. "The Evaluation of a Self-enumerated Scale of Quality of Life (CASP-19) in the Context of Research on Ageing: A Combination of Exploratory and Confirmatory Approaches," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 89(1), pages 61-77, October.
- Felicia Huppert & Nic Marks & Andrew Clark & Johannes Siegrist & Alois Stutzer & Joar Vittersø & Morten Wahrendorf, 2009. "Measuring Well-being Across Europe: Description of the ESS Well-being Module and Preliminary Findings," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 91(3), pages 301-315, May.
- Laura Crespo, 2006. "Caring For Parents And Employment Status Of European Mid-Life Women," Working Papers wp2006_0615, CEMFI.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:soinre:v:110:y:2013:i:3:p:973-991. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.