The role of villages in households’ poverty exit: evidence from a multilevel model for rural Vietnam
Vietnam experienced a dramatic drop in overall poverty during the 90s. However, the poverty reduction showed substantial variation across households, villages and regions. Using a multilevel model on panel data from the rural sample of the Vietnam Living Standard Measurement Survey we demonstrate the important role of villages in household poverty exit dynamics. We also show how an analysis of village-level random effects predictions can help targeting of policies to reduce poverty. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media Dordrecht 2014
Volume (Year): 48 (2014)
Issue (Month): 4 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/11135|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- White, Howard & Masset, Edoardo, 2002.
"Child poverty in Vietnam: using adult equivalence scales to estimate income-poverty for different age groups,"
777, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Howard White, 2005. "Child Poverty in Vietnam: Using Adult Equivalence Scales to Estimate Income-Poverty for Different Age Groups," Development and Comp Systems 0504016, EconWPA.
- repec:cai:poeine:pope_601_0099 is not listed on IDEAS
- Yoko Niimi & Puja Vasudeva Dutta & L. Alan Winters, 2015.
"Trade Liberalisation and Poverty Dynamics in Vietnam,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,
in: Non-Tariff Barriers, Regionalism and Poverty Essays in Applied International Trade Analysis, chapter 16, pages 333-365
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Niimi, Yoko & Vasudeva Dutta, Puja, 2007. "Trade Liberalisation and Poverty Dynamics in Vietnam," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 22, pages 819-851.
- Yoko Niimi & Puja Vasudeva Dutta & Alan Winters, 2003. "Trade Liberalisation and Poverty Dynamics in Vietnam," PRUS Working Papers 17, Poverty Research Unit at Sussex, University of Sussex.
- Julie Litchfield & Neil McCulloch & L. Alan Winters, 2003.
"Agricultural Trade Liberalization and Poverty Dynamics in Three Developing Countries,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(5), pages 1285-1291.
- JULIE LITCHFIELD & NEIL McCULLOCH & L. ALAN WINTERS, 2015. "Agricultural Trade Liberalization And Poverty Dynamics In Three Developing Countries," World Scientific Book Chapters, in: Non-Tariff Barriers, Regionalism and Poverty Essays in Applied International Trade Analysis, chapter 17, pages 367-373 World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Falaris, Evangelos M., 2003. "The effect of survey attrition in longitudinal surveys: evidence from Peru, Cote d'Ivoire and Vietnam," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 133-157, February.
- Van de Walle, Dominique, 2000.
"Choosing rural road investments to help reduce poverty,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2458, The World Bank.
- van de Walle, Dominique, 2002. "Choosing Rural Road Investments to Help Reduce Poverty," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 575-589, April.
- Bruno ARPINO & Roberta VARRIALE, 2010. "Assessing The Quality Of Institutionsâ€™ Rankings Obtained Through Multilevel Linear Regression Models," Journal of Applied Economic Sciences, Spiru Haret University, Faculty of Financial Management and Accounting Craiova, vol. 5(1(11)_Spr), pages 7-22.
- Ravallion, Martin & Bidani, Benu, 1993.
"How robust is a poverty profile?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1223, The World Bank.
- Kyo-seong Kim & Yongwoo Lee & Yu-jeong Lee, 2010. "A Multilevel Analysis of Factors Related to Poverty in Welfare States," Social Indicators Research: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 99(3), pages 391-404, December.
- Patricia Justino & Julie Litchfield, 2003. "Welfare in Vietnam During the 1990s: Poverty, Inequality and Poverty Dynamics," PRUS Working Papers 08, Poverty Research Unit at Sussex, University of Sussex.
- Nguyen, Binh T. & Albrecht, James W. & Vroman, Susan B. & Westbrook, M. Daniel, 2007.
"A quantile regression decomposition of urban-rural inequality in Vietnam,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 466-490, July.
- Binh Nguyen & James Albrecht & Susan Vroman & Daniel Westbrook, 2003. "A Quantile Regression Decomposition of Urban-Rural Inequality in Vietnam," Working Papers gueconwpa~03-03-31, Georgetown University, Department of Economics.
- Glewwe, Paul & Gragnolati, Michele & Zaman, Hassan, 2002. "Who Gained from Vietnam's Boom in the 1990s?," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 50(4), pages 773-792, July.
- Bruno Arpino & Arnstein Aassve, 2008.
"Estimating the causal effect of fertility on economic wellbeing: Data requirements, identifying assumptions and estimation methods,"
013, "Carlo F. Dondena" Centre for Research on Social Dynamics (DONDENA), Università Commerciale Luigi Bocconi.
- Bruno Arpino & Arnstein Aassve, 2013. "Estimating the causal effect of fertility on economic wellbeing: data requirements, identifying assumptions and estimation methods," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 44(1), pages 355-385, February.
- Nicholas Minot & Bob Baulch, 2005.
"Poverty Mapping with Aggregate Census Data: What is the Loss in Precision?,"
Review of Development Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(1), pages 5-24, 02.
- Minot, Nicholas & Baulch, Bob, 2004. "Poverty Mapping with Aggregate Census Data: What is the Loss in Precision?," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Christiaensen, Luc & Scott, Christopher & Wodon, Quentin, 2002. "Poverty Measurement and Analysis," MPRA Paper 45362, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Paul Glewwe & Hai-Anh Hoang Dang, 2011. "Was Vietnam's Economic Growth in the 1990s Pro-Poor? An Analysis of Panel Data from Vietnam," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(3), pages 583-608.
- David Brady & Rebekah Burroway, 2012. "Targeting, Universalism, and Single-Mother Poverty: A Multilevel Analysis Across 18 Affluent Democracies," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 49(2), pages 719-746, May.
- Cora J. M. Maas & Joop J. Hox, 2004. "Robustness issues in multilevel regression analysis," Statistica Neerlandica, Netherlands Society for Statistics and Operations Research, vol. 58(2), pages 127-137.
- Patricia Justino & Julie Litchfield & Hung Thai Pham, 2008. "Poverty Dynamics During Trade Reform: Evidence From Rural Vietnam," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 54(2), pages 166-192, 06.
- Bob Baulch & Truong Thi Kim Chuyen & Dominique Haughton & Jonathan Haughton, 2007. "Ethnic minority development in Vietnam," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(7), pages 1151-1176.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:qualqt:v:48:y:2014:i:4:p:2175-2189. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.