A comparative analysis on school attainment in Turkey and Malta: application of the Tobit model
This research provides a comparative analysis on the correlates of school attainment between Turkish and Maltese people. In the analysis, school attainment is measured by years of education. Tobit model estimates are obtained in the analyses using Eurobarometer 2004.1 data set. The results of the model demonstrate that, the effect of marriage on school attainment found to be insignificant for Malta while it is significant for Turkey. Additionally, it can be seen that females are less educated than males and income has a positive effect on school attainment in both Turkey and Malta. By providing comparative analyses, this research attempts to give insights for policy makers and professionals to improve the Turkish education system. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media B.V. 2013
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 47 (2013)
Issue (Month): 5 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/11135|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jessica Holmes, 1999. "Measuring the Determinants of School Completion in Pakistan: Analysis of Censoring and Selection Bias," Working Papers 794, Economic Growth Center, Yale University.
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1984. "Tobit models: A survey," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1-2), pages 3-61.
- Flabbi, Luca & Paternostro, Stefano & Tiongson, Erwin R., 2007.
"Returns to education in the economic transition : a systematic assessment using comparable data,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4225, The World Bank.
- Flabbi, Luca & Paternostro, Stefano & Tiongson, Erwin R., 2008. "Returns to education in the economic transition: A systematic assessment using comparable data," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 724-740, December.
- Tansel, AysIt & Bircan, Fatma, 2006. "Demand for education in Turkey: A tobit analysis of private tutoring expenditures," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 303-313, June.
- Tansel, Aysit, 2002. "Determinants of school attainment of boys and girls in Turkey: individual, household and community factors," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 455-470, October.
- Holmes, J., 1999. "Measuring the Determinants of School Completion in Pakistan: Analysis of Censoring and Selection Bias," Papers 794, Yale - Economic Growth Center.
- Olsen, Randall J, 1978. "Note on the Uniqueness of the Maximum Likelihood Estimator for the Tobit Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(5), pages 1211-15, September.
- Arabmazar, Abbas & Schmidt, Peter, 1981. "Further evidence on the robustness of the Tobit estimator to heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 253-258, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:qualqt:v:47:y:2013:i:5:p:2709-2722. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.