A new fluctuation test for constant variances with applications to finance
We present a test to determine whether variances of time series are constant over time. The test statistic is a suitably standardized maximum of cumulative first and second moments. We apply the test to time series of various assets and find that the test performs well in applications. Moreover, we propose a portfolio strategy based on our test which hedges against potential financial crises and show that it works in practice. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2012
Volume (Year): 75 (2012)
Issue (Month): 8 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/statistics/journal/184/PS2|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wied, Dominik & Krämer, Walter & Dehling, Herold, 2012. "Testing For A Change In Correlation At An Unknown Point In Time Using An Extended Functional Delta Method," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 28(03), pages 570-589, June.
- Carrasco, Marine & Chen, Xiaohong, 2002. "Mixing And Moment Properties Of Various Garch And Stochastic Volatility Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(01), pages 17-39, February.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 1991. "GARCH(1, 1) processes are near epoch dependent," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 181-186, June.
- Ploberger, Werner & Krämer;, Walter, 1990. "The Local Power of the CUSUM and CUSUM of Squares Tests," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(03), pages 335-347, September.
- Elena Andreou & Eric Ghysels, 2001.
"Detecting Multiple Breaks in Financial Market Volatility Dynamics,"
University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics
0202, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
- Elena Andreou & Eric Ghysels, 2002. "Detecting multiple breaks in financial market volatility dynamics," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(5), pages 579-600.
- Elena Andreou & Eric Ghysels, 2001. "Detecting Mutiple Breaks in Financial Market Volatility Dynamics," CIRANO Working Papers 2001s-65, CIRANO.
- Andreou, Elena & Ghysels, Eric, 2006. "Monitoring disruptions in financial markets," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1-2), pages 77-124.
- Chu, Chia-Shang James & Stinchcombe, Maxwell & White, Halbert, 1996. "Monitoring Structural Change," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(5), pages 1045-65, September.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1996.
"A Conditional Kolmogorov Test,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1111R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Robert M. De Jong & James Davidson, 2000.
"Consistency of Kernel Estimators of Heteroscedastic and Autocorrelated Covariance Matrices,"
Econometric Society, vol. 68(2), pages 407-424, March.
- de Jong, R.M. & Davidson, J., 1996. "Consistency of Kernel Estimators of Heteroscedastic and Autocorrelated Covariance Matrices," Discussion Paper 1996-52, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- William Goetzmann & Lingfeng Li & K. Rouwenhorst, 2001.
"Long-Term Global Market Correlations,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm237, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Jan 2008.
- William N. Goetzmann & Lingfeng Li & K. Geert Rouwenhorst, 2001. "Long-Term Global Market Correlations," NBER Working Papers 8612, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- William N.Goetzmann & Lingfeng Li & K.Geert Rouwenhorst, 2003. "Long-Term Global Market Correlations," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 98, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Inoue, Atsushi, 2001. "Testing For Distributional Change In Time Series," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(01), pages 156-187, February.
- Thomas Mikosch & Catalin Starica, 2004. "Changes of structure in financial time series and the GARCH model," Econometrics 0412003, EconWPA.
- Kramer, Walter & Schotman, Peter, 1992. "Range vs. maximum in the OLS-based version of the CUSUM test," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 379-381, December.
- Ploberger, Werner & Kramer, Walter, 1992. "The CUSUM Test with OLS Residuals," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(2), pages 271-85, March.
- Krishnan, C.N.V. & Petkova, Ralitsa & Ritchken, Peter, 2009. "Correlation risk," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 353-367, June.
- Ploberger, Werner & Kramer, Walter & Kontrus, Karl, 1989. "A new test for structural stability in the linear regression model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 307-318, February.
- Peña, Daniel & Galeano, Pedro, 2004. "Variance changes detection in multivariate time series," DES - Working Papers. Statistics and Econometrics. WS ws041305, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Estadística.
- Campbell, Rachel A.J. & Forbes, Catherine S. & Koedijk, Kees G. & Kofman, Paul, 2008. "Increasing correlations or just fat tails?," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 287-309, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:metrik:v:75:y:2012:i:8:p:1111-1127. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.