A new fluctuation test for constant variances with applications to finance
We present a test to determine whether variances of time series are constant over time. The test statistic is a suitably standardized maximum of cumulative first and second moments. We apply the test to time series of various assets and find that the test performs well in applications. Moreover, we propose a portfolio strategy based on our test which hedges against potential financial crises and show that it works in practice. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2012
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 75 (2012)
Issue (Month): 8 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=102509 |
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elena Andreou & Eric Ghysels, 2002.
"Detecting multiple breaks in financial market volatility dynamics,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(5), pages 579-600.
- Elena Andreou & Eric Ghysels, 2001. "Detecting Multiple Breaks in Financial Market Volatility Dynamics," University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics 0202, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 1991. "GARCH(1, 1) processes are near epoch dependent," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 181-186, June.
- Wied, Dominik & Krämer, Walter & Dehling, Herold, 2012. "Testing For A Change In Correlation At An Unknown Point In Time Using An Extended Functional Delta Method," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 28(03), pages 570-589, June.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1996.
"A Conditional Kolmogorov Test,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1111R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Carrasco, Marine & Chen, Xiaohong, 2002. "Mixing And Moment Properties Of Various Garch And Stochastic Volatility Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(01), pages 17-39, February.
- Campbell, Rachel A.J. & Forbes, Catherine S. & Koedijk, Kees G. & Kofman, Paul, 2008. "Increasing correlations or just fat tails?," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 287-309, March.
- Chu, Chia-Shang James & Stinchcombe, Maxwell & White, Halbert, 1996. "Monitoring Structural Change," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(5), pages 1045-65, September.
- William N. Goetzmann & Lingfeng Li & K. Geert Rouwenhorst, 2005.
"Long-Term Global Market Correlations,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(1), pages 1-38, January.
- William N.Goetzmann & Lingfeng Li & K.Geert Rouwenhorst, 2003. "Long-Term Global Market Correlations," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 98, Netherlands Central Bank.
- William Goetzmann & Lingfeng Li & K. Rouwenhorst, 2001. "Long-Term Global Market Correlations," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm237, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Jan 2008.
- William N. Goetzmann & Lingfeng Li & K. Geert Rouwenhorst, 2001. "Long-Term Global Market Correlations," NBER Working Papers 8612, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Krishnan, C.N.V. & Petkova, Ralitsa & Ritchken, Peter, 2009. "Correlation risk," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 353-367, June.
- Ploberger, Werner & Krämer;, Walter, 1990. "The Local Power of the CUSUM and CUSUM of Squares Tests," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(03), pages 335-347, September.
- Inoue, Atsushi, 2001. "Testing For Distributional Change In Time Series," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(01), pages 156-187, February.
- Robert M. De Jong & James Davidson, 2000. "Consistency of Kernel Estimators of Heteroscedastic and Autocorrelated Covariance Matrices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(2), pages 407-424, March.
- Ploberger, Werner & Kramer, Walter, 1992. "The CUSUM Test with OLS Residuals," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(2), pages 271-85, March.
- Pedro Galeano & Daniel Peña, 2004. "Variance Changes Detection In Multivariate Time Series," Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers ws041305, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría.
- Andreou, Elena & Ghysels, Eric, 2006. "Monitoring disruptions in financial markets," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1-2), pages 77-124.
- Thomas Mikosch & Catalin Starica, 2004. "Changes of structure in financial time series and the GARCH model," Econometrics 0412003, EconWPA.
- Ploberger, Werner & Kramer, Walter & Kontrus, Karl, 1989. "A new test for structural stability in the linear regression model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 307-318, February.
- Kramer, Walter & Schotman, Peter, 1992. "Range vs. maximum in the OLS-based version of the CUSUM test," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 379-381, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:metrik:v:75:y:2012:i:8:p:1111-1127. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.