A spatial decomposition of the Gini coefficient
The paper introduces a spatial decomposition of the Gini coefficient that supports the detection of spatial autocorrelation conjointly with an indicator of overall inequality. An additive pairwise decomposition based on a spatial weights matrix partitions inequality between observations that are geographically neighbors and those that are not. A framework for inference on the spatial decomposition is also suggested. The statistical properties of the decomposition measure are evaluated in a Monte Carlo simulation and an empirical illustration involving per capita income inequality in the US states is also provided. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2013
Volume (Year): 6 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com/|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/12076|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anthony Briant & Pierre-Philippe Combes & Miren Lafourcade, 2010.
"Dots to boxes: Do the size and shape of spatial units jeopardize economic geography estimations?,"
- Briant, A. & Combes, P.-P. & Lafourcade, M., 2010. "Dots to boxes: Do the size and shape of spatial units jeopardize economic geography estimations?," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(3), pages 287-302, May.
- Briant, Anthony & Combes, Pierre-Philippe & Lafourcade, Miren, 2008. "Dots to Boxes: Do the Size and Shape of Spatial Units Jeopardize Economic Geography Estimations?," CEPR Discussion Papers 6928, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Anthony Briant & Pierre-Philippe Combes & Miren Lafourcade, 2008. "Dots To Boxes: Do The Size And Shape Of Spatial Units Jeopardize Economic Geography Estimations?," PSE Working Papers halshs-00349294, HAL.
- Anthony Briant & Pierre-Philippe Combes & Miren Lafourcade, 2008. "Dots to boxes: Do the size and shape of spatial units jeopardize economic geography estimations?," PSE Working Papers halshs-00586029, HAL.
- Sergio J. Rey & Mark V. Janikas, 2004. "STARS: Space-Time Analysis of Regional Systems," Urban/Regional 0406001, EconWPA.
- Bickenbach, Frank & Bode, Eckhardt, 2006.
"Disproportionality measures of concentration, specialization, and polarization,"
Kiel Working Papers
1276, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Frank Bickenbach & Eckhardt Bode, 2006. "Disproportionality Measures of Concentration, Specialization, and Polarization," Kiel Working Papers 1276, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Casey J. Dawkins, 2007. "Space And The Measurement Of Income Segregation," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(2), pages 255-272, 05.
- Ravi Kanbur, 2006.
"The policy significance of inequality decompositions,"
Journal of Economic Inequality,
Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 367-374, December.
- Kanbur, Ravi, 2003. "The Policy Significance of Inequality Decompositions," Working Papers 127237, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Schelling, Thomas C, 1969. "Models of Segregation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 59(2), pages 488-93, May.
- Silber, Jacques, 1989. "Factor Components, Population Subgroups and the Computation of the Gini Index of Inequality," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(1), pages 107-15, February.
- Shorrocks, Anthony & Wan, Guanghua, 2004.
"Spatial Decomposition of Inequality,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Arbia, Giuseppe & Piras, Gianfranco, 2009. "A new class of spatial concentration measures," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(12), pages 4471-4481, October.
- Clark, Stephen & Hemming, Richard & Ulph, David, 1981. "On Indices for the Measurement of Poverty," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 91(362), pages 515-26, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:lsprsc:v:6:y:2013:i:2:p:55-70. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.