Local causes, regional co-operation and global financing for environmental problems: the case of Southeast Asian Haze pollution
Lack of action on cross-border environmental problems in developing countries is often ascribed to gaps in local capacity and resources, failure of regional cooperation, and lack of financial support from rich countries. Using the case of the Southeast Asian Haze pollution from forest and peat fires in Indonesia, we explore the challenges posed by environmental problems whose causes are closely linked to local development and livelihood strategies, and whose impacts are local, regional (haze) as well as global (carbon emissions). We assess whether there are real opportunities to implement effectively the recent Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Agreement on Transboundary Haze Pollution. To address the deep determinants behind haze pollution, we propose signatories to the Agreement refocus their efforts to controlling peat fires rather than strive for a zero-burning regime. We also recommend a new approach to financing sustainable development based on rules and incentives, with a regional pool of funds, contributed by rich countries through the Global Environment Facility and countries in Southeast Asia.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 8 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/10784|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- L. Tacconi & P. Moore & D. Kaimowitz, 2007. "Fires in tropical forests – what is really the problem? lessons from Indonesia," Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 55-66, January.
- Quah, Euston, 2002. "Transboundary Pollution in Southeast Asia: The Indonesian Fires," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 429-441, March.
- R. Quentin Grafton & Frank Jotzo & Merrilyn Wasson, 2004.
"Financing Sustainable Development : Country Undertakings and Rights for Environmental Sustainability (CURES),"
Economics and Environment Network Working Papers
0403, Australian National University, Economics and Environment Network.
- Quentin Grafton, R. & Jotzo, Frank & Wasson, Merrilyn, 2004. "Financing sustainable development: Country Undertakings and Rights for Environmental Sustainability CURES," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(1-2), pages 65-78, November.
- Tacconi, Luca & Vayda, Andrew P., 2006. "Slash and burn and fires in Indonesia: A comment," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 1-4, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:ieaple:v:8:y:2008:i:1:p:1-16. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.