The impact of tobacco prices on smoking onset in Vietnam: duration analyses of retrospective data
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Hammar, Henrik & Martinsson, Peter, 2001. "The Effect Of Cigarette Prices And Antismoking Policies On The Age Of Smoking Initiation," Working Papers in Economics 62, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- DeCicca, Philip & Kenkel, Donald & Mathios, Alan, 2000. "Racial Difference in the Determinants of Smoking Onset," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 21(2-3), pages 311-340, November.
- Philip DeCicca & Donald Kenkel & Alan Mathios & Yoon-Jeong Shin & Jae-Young Lim, 2008.
"Youth smoking, cigarette prices, and anti-smoking sentiment,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(6), pages 733-749.
- Philip DeCicca & Donald S. Kenkel & Alan D. Mathios & Yoon-Jeong Shin & Jae-Young Lim, 2006. "Youth Smoking, Cigarette Prices, and Anti-Smoking Sentiment," NBER Working Papers 12458, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arzhenovskiy Sergey, 2005. "Socioeconomic determinants of smoking in contemporary Russia," EERC Working Paper Series 05-12e, EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS.
- Cawley, John & Markowitz, Sara & Tauras, John, 2004.
"Lighting up and slimming down: the effects of body weight and cigarette prices on adolescent smoking initiation,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 293-311, March.
- John Cawley & Sara Markowitz & John Tauras, 2003. "Lighting Up and Slimming Down: The Effects of Body Weight and Cigarette Prices on Adolescent Smoking Initiation," NBER Working Papers 9561, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roberto G. Gutierrez, 2002. "Parametric frailty and shared frailty survival models," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 2(1), pages 22-44, February.
- G. Emmanuel Guindon & Arindam Nandi & Frank J. Chaloupka, IV & Prabhat Jha, 2011. "Socioeconomic Differences in the Impact of Smoking Tobacco and Alcohol Prices on Smoking in India," NBER Working Papers 17580, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ramanan Laxminarayan & Anil Deolalikar, 2004. "Tobacco initiation, cessation, and change: evidence from Vietnam," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(12), pages 1191-1201.
- Schmidt, Peter & Witte, Ann Dryden, 1989.
"Predicting criminal recidivism using 'split population' survival time models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 141-159, January.
- Peter Schmidt & Ann Dryden Witte, 1987. "Predicting Criminal Recidivism Using "Split Population" Survival Time Models," NBER Working Papers 2445, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- DeCicca, Philip & Kenkel, Don & Mathios, Alan, 2008.
"Cigarette taxes and the transition from youth to adult smoking: Smoking initiation, cessation, and participation,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 27(4), pages 904-917, July.
- Philip DeCicca & Donald S. Kenkel & Alan D. Mathios, 2008. "Cigarette Taxes and the Transition from Youth to Adult Smoking: Smoking Initiation, Cessation, and Participation," NBER Working Papers 14042, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin Forster & Andrew M. Jones, 2003. "Corrigendum: The role of tobacco taxes in starting and quitting smoking: duration analysis of British data," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series A, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 166(3), pages 441-442.
- Mark Coppejans & Donna Gilleskie & Holger Sieg & Koleman Strumpf, 2007. "Consumer Demand under Price Uncertainty: Empirical Evidence from the Market for Cigarettes," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 89(3), pages 510-521, August.
- Nonnemaker, James M. & Farrelly, Matthew C., 2011. "Smoking initiation among youth: The role of cigarette excise taxes and prices by race/ethnicity and gender," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 560-567, May.
- David Madden, 2007.
"Tobacco taxes and starting and quitting smoking: does the effect differ by education?,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(5), pages 613-627.
- Madden, David, 2003. "Tobacco Taxes and Starting and Quitting Smoking: Does the Effect Differ by Education?," Papers HRBWP03, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Michael P. Kidd & Sandra Hopkins, 2004. "The Hazards of Starting and Quitting Smoking: Some Australian Evidence," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 80(249), pages 177-192, June.
- repec:aph:ajpbhl:1996:86:2:214-220_9 is not listed on IDEAS
- John A. Tauras & Patrick M. O'Malley & Lloyd D. Johnston, 2001. "Effects of Price and Access Laws on Teenage Smoking Initiation: A National Longitudinal Analysis," NBER Working Papers 8331, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Cawley & Sara Markowitz & John Tauras, 2006. "Obesity, Cigarette Prices, Youth Access Laws, and Adolescent Smoking Initiation," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 32(1), pages 149-170, Winter.
- Feng Liu, 2010. "Cutting through the smoke: separating the effect of price on smoking initiation, relapse and cessation," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(23), pages 2921-2939.
- Yoko Niimi, 2005. "An Analysis of Household Responses to Price Shocks in Vietnam: Can Unit Values Substitute for Market Prices?," PRUS Working Papers 30, Poverty Research Unit at Sussex, University of Sussex.
- Philip DeCicca & Donald Kenkel & Alan Mathios, 2002. "Putting Out the Fires: Will Higher Taxes Reduce the Onset of Youth Smoking?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 110(1), pages 144-169, February.
- Martin Forster & Andrew M. Jones, "undated". "The role of tobacco taxes in starting and quitting smoking," Discussion Papers 00/51, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Douglas, Stratford, 1998. "The Duration of the Smoking Habit," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 36(1), pages 49-64, January.
- Eozenou, Patrick & Fishburn, Burke, 2001.
"Price Elasticity Estimates of Cigarette Demand in Vietnam,"
12779, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Nov 2007.
- Patrick Eozenou & Burke Fishburn, 2009. "Price Elasticity Estimates for Cigarette Demand in Vietnam," Working Papers 05, Development and Policies Research Center (DEPOCEN), Vietnam.
- Mercken, Liesbeth & Snijders, Tom A.B. & Steglich, Christian & de Vries, Hein, 2009. "Dynamics of adolescent friendship networks and smoking behavior: Social network analyses in six European countries," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 69(10), pages 1506-1514, November.
- Douglas, Stratford & Hariharan, Govind, 1994. "The hazard of starting smoking: Estimates from a split population duration model," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 213-230, July.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cuong Viet Nguyen, 2012. "Demographic and Socio-economic Determinants of Smoking Behavior: Evidence from Vietnam," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 32(3), pages 2300-2312.
- cuong, nguyen, 2010. "Smoking behavior in Vietnam: demographic and socioeconomic determinants," MPRA Paper 36516, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Martin Gonzalez-Rozada & Giselle Montamat, 2015. "How increasing tobacco prices affects the decision to start and quit smoking: evidence from Argentina," Department of Economics Working Papers 2015_3, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Martin Gonzalez-Rozada & Giselle Montamat, 2015. "How increasing tobacco prices affects the decision to start and quit smoking: evidence from Argentina," Department of Economics Working Papers wp201501, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Vellios, Nicole & van Walbeek, Corne, 2014. "Determinants of smoking initiation in South Africa," SALDRU Working Papers 128, Southern Africa Labour and Development Research Unit, University of Cape Town.
More about this item
KeywordsVietnam; Smoking initiation; Smoking onset; Tobacco prices; Tobacco taxes; Duration analysis; C41; H20; I18;
- C41 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Duration Analysis; Optimal Timing Strategies
- H20 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - General
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:eujhec:v:15:y:2014:i:1:p:19-39. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla) or (Rebekah McClure). General contact details of provider: http://www.springer.com .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.