The impact of climate change on cropland productivity: evidence from satellite based products at the river basin scale in Africa
We investigate the effect of climate change on crop productivity in Africa using satellite derived data on land use and net primary productivity (NPP) at a small river basin scale, distinguishing between the impact of local and upper-catchment weather. Regression results show that both of these are determining factors of local cropland productivity. These estimates are then combined with climate change predictions obtained from two general circulation models (GCMs) under two greenhouse gas emissions (GHG) assumptions to evaluate the impact of climate change by 2100. For some scenarios significant decreases are predicted over the northern and southern parts of Africa. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media Dordrecht 2013
Volume (Year): 117 (2013)
Issue (Month): 4 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/10584|
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kaddour Hadri, 1999.
"Testing For Stationarity In Heterogeneous Panel Data,"
1999_04, University of Liverpool Management School.
- Kaddour Hadri, 2000. "Testing for stationarity in heterogeneous panel data," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 3(2), pages 148-161.
- Peter Kennedy, 2003. "A Guide to Econometrics, 5th Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 5, volume 1, number 026261183x, June.
- Barrios, Salvador & Ouattara, Bazoumana & Strobl, Eric, 2008.
"The impact of climatic change on agricultural production: Is it different for Africa?,"
Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 287-298, August.
- Barrios, Salvador & Ouattara, Bazoumanna & Strobl, Eric, 2004. "The Impact of Climatic Change on Agricultural Production: Is it different for Africa?," MPRA Paper 6240, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Badiane, Ousmane & Delgado, Christopher L., 1995. "A 2020 vision for food, agriculture, and the environment in Sub-Saharan Africa:," 2020 vision discussion papers 4, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:climat:v:117:y:2013:i:4:p:873-890. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.