New Estimates of Real Income and Multifactor Productivity Growth for the Canadian Business Sector, 1961-2011
Using new data from Statistics Canada, this article shows that the multifactor productivity (MFP) performance of the Canadian business sector has been reasonably satisfactory over the past half century. In particular, traditional gross income MFP growth averaged 1.03 per cent per year over the 1961-2011 period. This compares with the official Statistics Canada estimate of 0.28 per cent. The difference was mostly due to significantly higher capital input growth recorded by Statistics Canada. The study finds that quality adjusted labour input growth was the main driver of real income growth, followed by MFP growth, capital input growth, and finally by falling real import prices. The study encountered many data problems which should be addressed in future work on Canadian business sector productivity performance.
Volume (Year): 24 (2012)
Issue (Month): (Fall)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.csls.ca/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.csls.ca Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Inklaar, Robert, 2008.
"The Sensitivity of Capital Services Measurement: Measure all assets and the cost of capital,"
GGDC Research Memorandum
GD-103, Groningen Growth and Development Centre, University of Groningen.
- Robert Inklaar, 2010. "The Sensitivity Of Capital Services Measurement: Measure All Assets And The Cost Of Capital," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 56(2), pages 389-412, 06.
- Ulrich Kohli, 2006. "Real GDP, Real GDI and Trading Gains: Canada, 1981-2005," International Productivity Monitor, Centre for the Study of Living Standards, vol. 13, pages 46-56, Fall.
- Diewart, W Erwin & Morrison, Catherine J, 1986.
"Adjusting Output and Productivity Indexes for Changes in the Terms of Trade,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 96(383), pages 659-79, September.
- W.E. Diewert & Catherine J. Morrison, 1985. "Adjusting Output and Productivity Indexes for Changes in the Terms of Trade," NBER Working Papers 1564, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- W. Erwin Diewert, 1980. "Aggregation Problems in the Measurement of Capital," NBER Chapters, in: The Measurement of Capital, pages 433-538 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kohli, Ulrich, 2004. "Real GDP, real domestic income, and terms-of-trade changes," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 83-106, January.
- Dale W. Jorgenson, 2012. "The World KLEMS Initiative," International Productivity Monitor, Centre for the Study of Living Standards, vol. 24, pages 5-19, Fall.
- Kohli, Ulrich, 2003. "Growth accounting in the open economy: international comparisons," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 417-435.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sls:ipmsls:v:24:y:2012:3. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Whitney Hamilton)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Whitney Hamilton to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.