General Equilibrium Analysis of Supply and Factor Returns in U.S. Agriculture, 1949-91
General equilibrium - open economy trade theory and time series data on the US agricultural sector are used to provide insights into the structure of agricultural supply, factor returns and linkages to the rest of the economy. Output expansion and changes in factor rental rates depend on relative factor intensities. Theoretically consistent price elasticities of supply and factor rental rates are also obtained. The effect of the rest of the economy, particularly the increase in price of services, is found to have relatively large negative impacts on agriculture. The static effects on growth of supply and factor rental rates tend to be dominated by rate effects which are shown to have strong positive effects on returns to family labor. J.E.L. classification numbers: 013, 030, Qll
|Date of creation:||1995|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: (612) 625-1222|
Phone: (612) 625-1222
Fax: (612) 625-6245
Web page: http://www.apec.umn.edu/EDC.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Munisamy Gopinath & Terry Roe, 1997.
"Sources of Sectoral Growth in an Economy Wide Context: The Case of U.S. Agriculture,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 293-310, August.
- Munisamy, Gopinath & Roe, Terry L., 1995. "Sources of Sectoral Growth in an Economy Wide Context: The Case of U.S. Agriculture," Bulletins 7454, University of Minnesota, Economic Development Center.
- V. Eldon Ball & Jean-Christophe Bureau & Richard Nehring & Agapi Somwaru, 1997. "Agricultural Productivity Revisited," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(4), pages 1045-1063.
- Gopinath, Munisamy & Roe, Terry L., 1996. "Sources Of Growth In U.S. Gdp And Economy-Wide Linkages To The Agricultural Sector," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 21(02), December.
- Takayama,Akira, 1985. "Mathematical Economics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521314985, December.
- Diewart, W Erwin & Morrison, Catherine J, 1986.
"Adjusting Output and Productivity Indexes for Changes in the Terms of Trade,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 96(383), pages 659-679, September.
- W. Erwin Diewert & Catherine J. Morrison, 1985. "Adjusting Output and Productivity Indexes for Changes in the Terms of Trade," NBER Working Papers 1564, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dan Usher, 1980. "The Measurement of Capital," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number ushe80-1.
- Dale W. Jorgenson, 1991. "Productivity and Economic Growth," NBER Chapters, in: Fifty Years of Economic Measurement: The Jubilee of the Conference on Research in Income and Wealth, pages 19-118 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- W. Erwin Diewert, 1980. "Aggregation Problems in the Measurement of Capital," NBER Chapters, in: The Measurement of Capital, pages 433-538 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:umedbu:7516. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.