Liberalizing the Swiss Meat Market with the EU: Welfare Effects and Impacts on Third Countries
The paper assesses by means of welfare analysis the effects of trade creation and trade diversion in a Swiss-EU free trade agreement (FTA) in the meat sector and compares it to multilateral trade liberalization. A multi-market multi-region partial equilibrium model is used. The FTA is checked for its conformity with the rules stipulated in Article XXIV of the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade that prohibits discrimination of third parties. Results indicate that net trade diversion effects are small and do not constitute a long-run impediment to trade. From a trade policy perspective the way is open for an FTA.
Volume (Year): 145 (2009)
Issue (Month): I (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: c/o SNB/BNS, Börsenstrasse 15, PO Box 2800, CH-8022 Zürich|
Phone: +41 58 631 32 34
Web page: http://www.sjes.ch
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Awudu Abdulai, 2002. "Using threshold cointegration to estimate asymmetric price transmission in the Swiss pork market," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(6), pages 679-687.
- Huang, Kuo S. & Lin, Biing-Hwan, 2000. "Estimation of Food Demand Nutrient Elasticities from household Survey Data," Technical Bulletins 184370, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Huang, Kuo S. & Lin, Biing-Hwan, 2000. "Estimation Of Food Demand And Nutrient Elasticities From Household Survey Data," Technical Bulletins 33579, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Kowalczyk, Carsten, 2000. "Welfare and Integration," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 41(2), pages 483-494, May.
- Robert Jörin & Yvan Lengwiler, 2004. "Learning from Financial Markets: Auctioning Tariff-Rate Quotas in Agricultural Trade," Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 140(IV), pages 521-541, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ses:arsjes:2009-i-4. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Steiner)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.