Compensation Discrimination for Defensive Players
Using data from 2001 to 2009, quantile regression techniques are used to analyze the presence of discrimination in the National Football League (NFL) market for linebackers. This article uses both binary variable and decomposition approaches. An extension of the Oaxaca Blinder decomposition to quantile regression, proposed by Melly, is estimated to decompose the earnings gap across the distribution. This article concludes that discrimination is present in the linebacker market. This result is robust to approach and evident across the entire distribution. This result differs from much of the previous research on professional football.
Volume (Year): 14 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.byuresearch.org/naasportseconomists|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark Gius & Donn Johnson, 2000. "Race and compensation in professional football," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(2), pages 73-75.
- Moshe Buchinsky, 1998. "Recent Advances in Quantile Regression Models: A Practical Guideline for Empirical Research," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 33(1), pages 88-126.
- José Mata & José A. F. Machado, 2005. "Counterfactual decomposition of changes in wage distributions using quantile regression," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(4), pages 445-465.
- Barton Hughes Hamilton, 1997. "Racial discrimination and professional basketball salaries in the 1990s," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(3), pages 287-296.
- Victor Chernozhukov & Ivan Fernandez-Val & Blaise Melly, 2009.
"Inference on counterfactual distributions,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP09/09, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Victor Chernozhukov & Ivan Fernandez-Val & Blaise Melly, 2012. "Inference on counterfactual distributions," CeMMAP working papers CWP05/12, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Victor Chernozhukov & Ivan Fernandez-Val & Blaise Melly, 2008. "Inference On Counterfactual Distributions," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series wp2008-005, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Victor Chernozhukov & Ivan Fernandez-Val & Blaise Melly, 2013. "Inference on counterfactual distributions," CeMMAP working papers CWP17/13, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Lawrence M. Kahn, 2009.
"The Economics of Discrimination: Evidence from Basketball,"
NCER Working Paper Series
40, National Centre for Econometric Research.
- Kahn, Lawrence M., 2009. "The Economics of Discrimination: Evidence from Basketball," IZA Discussion Papers 3987, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Bodvarsson, Orn B & Brastow, Raymond T, 1998. "Do Employers Pay for Consistent Performance?: Evidence from the NBA," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 36(1), pages 145-160, January.
- Rob Simmons & David Berri, 2008. "Race and the Evaluation of Signal Callers in the National Football League," IASE Conference Papers 0825, International Association of Sports Economists.
- repec:uwp:jhriss:v:8:y:1973:i:4:p:436-455 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mark Gius & Donn Johnson, 1998. "An empirical investigation of wage discrimination in professional basketball," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(11), pages 703-705.
- Michael A. Leeds & Sandra Kowalewski, 2001. "Winner Take All in the NFL," Journal of Sports Economics, The North American Association of Sports Economists, vol. 2(3), pages 244-256, August.
- Oaxaca, Ronald, 1973. "Male-Female Wage Differentials in Urban Labor Markets," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 14(3), pages 693-709, October.
- Rosen, Sherwin & Sanderson, Allen, 2001.
"Labour Markets in Professional Sports,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(469), pages 47-68, February.
- Kahn, Lawrence M & Sherer, Peter D, 1988. "Racial Differences in Professional Basketball Players' Compensation," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 6(1), pages 40-61, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sae:jospec:v:14:y:2013:i:1:p:23-44. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (SAGE Publishing)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.