Effects of Organizational Characteristics Factors on the Implementation of Strategic Human Resource Practices: Evidence from Malaysian Manufacturing Firms
The article investigates how organizational characteristics variables, such as firms’ country of origin, firms’ age and firms’ size, influence the implementation of strategic human resource (SHRM) practices in organizations. The article contributes towards understanding whether there are similarities in the adoption of SHRM practices between firms according to the abovementioned characteristics. A total of one hundred and twenty-one (121) manufacturing firms in the electrical and electronic sector in Malaysia participated in this study. The study discovers that firms in this sector practices average to high level of SHRM practices. Finally, among the three organizational context variables, only firm size showed significant difference in firms’ decision to adopt SHRM practices.
Volume (Year): 16 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.management.ase.ro/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bae, Johngseok & Rowley, Chris, 2001. "The impact of globalization on HRM: the case of South Korea," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 402-428, January.
- Thurley, Keith & Wirdenius, Hans, 1991. "Will management become 'European'? : Strategic choice for organizations," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 127-134, June.
- Cunha, Rita Campos e & Cunha, Miguel Pina e & Morgado, Antonio & Brewster, Chris, 2002. "Market forces, strategic management, HRM practices and organizational performance, a model based in european sample," FEUNL Working Paper Series wp415, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Faculdade de Economia.
- Hiltrop, Jean-Marie, 1996. "The impact of human resource management on organisational performance: Theory and research," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 628-637, December.
- Phillip M Rosenzweig & Nitin Nohria, 1994. "Influences on Human Resource Management Practices in Multinational Corporations," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 25(2), pages 229-251, June.
- Ingrid Verheul, 2003. "Commitment or control?," Scales Research Reports N200306, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Joel Cutcher-Gershenfeld, 1991. "The impact on economic performance of a transformation in industrial relations," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 44(2), pages 241-260, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rom:econmn:v:16:y:2013:i:1:p:5-24. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ciocoiu Nadia Carmen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.