Effects of Organizational Characteristics Factors on the Implementation of Strategic Human Resource Practices: Evidence from Malaysian Manufacturing Firms
The article investigates how organizational characteristics variables, such as firms’ country of origin, firms’ age and firms’ size, influence the implementation of strategic human resource (SHRM) practices in organizations. The article contributes towards understanding whether there are similarities in the adoption of SHRM practices between firms according to the abovementioned characteristics. A total of one hundred and twenty-one (121) manufacturing firms in the electrical and electronic sector in Malaysia participated in this study. The study discovers that firms in this sector practices average to high level of SHRM practices. Finally, among the three organizational context variables, only firm size showed significant difference in firms’ decision to adopt SHRM practices.
Volume (Year): 16 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 6 ROMANA PLACE, 70167 - BUCHAREST|
Web page: http://www.management.ase.ro/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ingrid Verheul, 2003. "Commitment or control?," Scales Research Reports N200306, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Hiltrop, Jean-Marie, 1996. "The impact of human resource management on organisational performance: Theory and research," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 628-637, December.
- Phillip M Rosenzweig & Nitin Nohria, 1994. "Influences on Human Resource Management Practices in Multinational Corporations," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 25(2), pages 229-251, June.
- Bae, Johngseok & Rowley, Chris, 2001. "The impact of globalization on HRM: the case of South Korea," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 402-428, January.
- Cunha, Rita Campos e & Cunha, Miguel Pina e & Morgado, Antonio & Brewster, Chris, 2002. "Market forces, strategic management, HRM practices and organizational performance, a model based in european sample," FEUNL Working Paper Series wp415, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Faculdade de Economia.
- Joel Cutcher-Gershenfeld, 1991. "The Impact on Economic Performance of a Transformation in Workplace Relations," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 44(2), pages 241-260, January.
- Thurley, Keith & Wirdenius, Hans, 1991. "Will management become 'European'? : Strategic choice for organizations," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 127-134, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rom:econmn:v:16:y:2013:i:1:p:5-24. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ciocoiu Nadia Carmen)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.