Investor’s Commitment Bias and Escalation of Firm’s Investment Decision
This study examines the reasons of perseverance in firm’s investment decision. It shows the possible influence of three closely related features which are: firm’s financial indicators, investor’s risk profile, and investor’s commitment bias, on a firm’s investment decisions escalation. This study aims to provide evidence as to whether investor considers the financial and risk’s perception features (financial strength and risk profile) to persevere his initial investment decision while he notes a high level of commitment bias. The proposed model of this paper uses GLM univariate data analyses to examine this relationship. Investor’s risk profile and his commitment bias have been measured by means of a questionnaire comprising several items. As for the selected sample, it has been composed of some 360 Tunisian individual investors. Our results have revealed that investors pay more attention to keep their psychology comfort than their financial comfort. It exposed the importance of the investor’s commitment bias and its risk perception in explaining investment decision escalation. Moreover results shows that there is strong and significant empirical relationship linking the escalatory behavior in investment decision and the interaction effects between the three independent variables. This means that, in practice, investors consider the three factors simultaneously.
Volume (Year): 15 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.management.ase.ro/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jacques Mairesse & Pierre Mohnen, 2005.
"The Importance of R&D for Innovation: A Reassessment Using French Survey Data,"
The Journal of Technology Transfer,
Springer, vol. 30(2_2), pages 183-197, 01.
- Mairesse,Jacques & Mohnen,Pierre, 2004. "The Importance of R&D for Innovation: A Reassessment Using French Survey Data," Research Memorandum 022, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Jacques Mairesse & Pierre Mohnen, 2004. "The Importance of R&D for Innovation : A Reassessment Using French Survey Data," Working Papers 2004-25, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Jacques Mairesse & Pierre Mohnen, 2004. "The Importance of R&D for Innovation: A Reassessment Using French Survey Data," NBER Working Papers 10897, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- J B Heaton, 2002. "Managerial Optimism and Corporate Finance," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 31(2), Summer.
- Kent Daniel & David Hirshleifer & Avanidhar Subrahmanyam, 1998. "Investor Psychology and Security Market Under- and Overreactions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(6), pages 1839-1885, December.
- Cockburn, Iain & Griliches, Zvi, 1988.
"Industry Effects and Appropriability Measures in the Stock Market's Valuation of R&D and Patents,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 78(2), pages 419-23, May.
- Iain Cockburn & Zvi Griliches, 1987. "Industry Effects and Appropriability Measures in the Stock Markets Valuation of R&D and Patents," NBER Working Papers 2465, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stewart C. Myers, 2001. "Capital Structure," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 15(2), pages 81-102, Spring.
- Titman, Sheridan, 1984. "The effect of capital structure on a firm's liquidation decision," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 137-151, March.
- Samuelson, William & Zeckhauser, Richard, 1988. " Status Quo Bias in Decision Making," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 1(1), pages 7-59, March.
- Samira Demaria & Dominique Dufour, 2007. "Les choix d'options comptables lors de la transition aux normes IAS/IFRS : quel rôle pour la prudence ?," Post-Print halshs-00266104, HAL.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-91, March.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Levine's Working Paper Archive 7656, David K. Levine.
- Golec, Joseph H., 1996. "The effects of mutual fund managers' characteristics on their portfolio performance, risk and fees," Financial Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 133-147.
- Lehn, Kenneth & Poulsen, Annette, 1989. " Free Cash Flow and Stockholder Gains in Going Private Transactions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(3), pages 771-87, July.
- Edward I. Altman, 1968. "Financial Ratios, Discriminant Analysis And The Prediction Of Corporate Bankruptcy," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 23(4), pages 589-609, 09.
- Lang, Larry & Ofek, Eli & Stulz, Rene M., 1996.
"Leverage, investment, and firm growth,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 3-29, January.
- Jensen, Michael C, 1986. "Agency Costs of Free Cash Flow, Corporate Finance, and Takeovers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 323-29, May.
- Ippolito, Richard A, 1992. "Consumer Reaction to Measures of Poor Quality: Evidence from the Mutual Fund Industry," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 35(1), pages 45-70, April.
- Kee H. Chung & Stephen W. Pruitt, 1994. "A Simple Approximation of Tobin's q," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 23(3), Fall.
- Erik R. Sirri & Peter Tufano, 1998. "Costly Search and Mutual Fund Flows," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(5), pages 1589-1622, October.
- Francis, Jennifer & Smith, Abbie, 1995. "Agency costs and innovation some empirical evidence," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 383-409, April.
- Skinner, Douglas J., 1993. "The investment opportunity set and accounting procedure choice : Preliminary evidence," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 407-445, October.
- Raphaëlle Bellando & Linh Tran-Dieu, 2011.
"La relation entre flux d'entrées nets et performance des fonds. Une étude appliquée au cas des opcvm actions français,"
Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 62(2), pages 255-275.
- Raphaëlle Bellando & Linh Tran Dieu, 2009. "La relation entre flux d entrées nets et performance des fonds : une étude appliquée au cas des OPCVM actions français," Post-Print halshs-00451026, HAL.
- Hovakimian, Armen & Hovakimian, Gayane & Tehranian, Hassan, 2004. "Determinants of target capital structure: The case of dual debt and equity issues," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(3), pages 517-540, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rom:econmn:v:15:y:2012:i:2:p:327-345. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ciocoiu Nadia Carmen)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.