Methodological basis of modeling evolution of markets of products with long life cycle: a study of the civil aircrafts’ market
Approach to modeling evolution of market of civil aircraft is proposed. The study of prospects of the US passenger traffic is carried out on the basis of the constructed econometric model of oligopoly in airline industry. Scenarios of key indicators of the market (market structure, revenue passenger miles, aircraft fleet, etc.) are built. Influence of jet fuel prices on the future of the industry is analyzed. In the article linear dynamic model of learning, with taking into account organizational forgetting in aircraft manufacturing, is built. It was applied to the study of the effects of learning and forgetting in aircraft production in Boeing and Airbus. Utilization of such a model makes it significantly easier computation of optimal strategies of companies with durable lifecycle of products. An approach to forming requirements to indicators of new breakthrough technique is proposed (with application to the market of narrow-bodied aircraft)
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Irwin, Douglas & Pavcnik, Nina, 2003.
"Airbus versus Boeing Revisited: International Competition in the Aircraft Market,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3876, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Irwin, Douglas A. & Pavcnik, Nina, 2004. "Airbus versus Boeing revisited: international competition in the aircraft market," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 223-245, December.
- Douglas A. Irwin & Nina Pavcnik, 2001. "Airbus versus Boeing Revisited: International Competition in the Aircraft Market," NBER Working Papers 8648, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Argote, L. & Epple, D., 1990. "Learning Curves In Manufacturing," GSIA Working Papers 89-90-02, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Gordon, Stephen, 1992. "Costs of Adjustment, the Aggregation Problem and Investment," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(3), pages 422-29, August.
- C. Lanier Benkard, 2000. "Learning and Forgetting: The Dynamics of Aircraft Production," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(4), pages 1034-1054, September.
- C. Lanier Benkard, 2004. "A Dynamic Analysis of the Market for Wide-Bodied Commercial Aircraft," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 71(3), pages 581-611.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:apltrx:0054. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anatoly Peresetsky)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.