Reputation in a Model with a Limited Debt Structure
This paper studies the optimal management of the maturity of government debt in an economy without commitment. We consider a reputation where any deviation triggers reversion to the worst sustainable equilibrium. We obtain two results. First, contrary to earlier literature, we show that a very rich debt structure is not a necessary condition to solve the time-inconsistency problem. Second, we learn how to allocate the outstanding debt into short and long-term bonds to enhance the credibility of the government policy. (Copyright: Elsevier)
Volume (Year): 8 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/red/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: https://www.economicdynamics.org/subscription-information/ Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bulow, Jeremy & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1989.
"Sovereign Debt: Is to Forgive to Forget?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 43-50, March.
- Bulow, J. & Rogoff, K., 1988. "Sovereign Debt: Is To Forgive To Forget?," Working papers 8813, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Jeremy Bulow & Kenneth Rogoff, 1998. "Sovereign Debt: Is to Forgive to Forget," Levine's Working Paper Archive 209, David K. Levine.
- Bulow, J. & Rogoff, K., 1988. "Sovereign Debt: Is To Forgive To Forget?," Papers 411, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Jeremy I. Bulow & Kenneth Rogoff, 1988. "Sovereign Debt: Is To Forgive To Forget?," NBER Working Papers 2623, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christopher Phelan & Ennio Stacchetti, 1999.
"Sequential equilibria in a Ramsey tax model,"
258, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Alessandro Missale & Olivier Jean Blanchard, 1991.
"The Debt Burden and Debt Maturity,"
NBER Working Papers
3944, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Missale, Alessandro & Giavazzi, Francesco & Benigno, Pierpaolo, 2002.
" How Is the Debt Managed? Learning from Fiscal Stabilizations,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 104(3), pages 443-69, September.
- Benigno, Pierpaolo & Giavazzi, Francesco & Missale, Alessandro, 2001. "How is the Debt Managed? Learning from Fiscal Stabilizations," CEPR Discussion Papers 2655, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pierpaolo Benigno & Francesco Giavazzi & Alessandro Missale, . "How is the Debt Managed? Learning from Fiscal Stabilizations," Working Papers 174, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Barro, Robert J, 1979.
"On the Determination of the Public Debt,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(5), pages 940-71, October.
- repec:oup:restud:v:67:y:2000:i:1:p:91-116 is not listed on IDEAS
- Rogers, Carol Ann, 1989. " Debt Restructuring with a Public Good," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 91(1), pages 117-30.
- Faig, Miquel, 1994. "Debt Restructuring and the Time Consistency of Optimal Policies," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 26(2), pages 171-81, May.
- Robert E. Lucas Jr. & Nancy L. Stokey, 1982.
"Optimal Fiscal and Monetary Policy in an Economy Without Capital,"
532, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Lucas, Robert Jr. & Stokey, Nancy L., 1983. "Optimal fiscal and monetary policy in an economy without capital," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 55-93.
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:117:y:2002:i:3:p:1105-1131 is not listed on IDEAS
- Pablo Andres Neumeyer & Fernando Alvarez & Pat Kehoe, 2003.
"The Time Consistency of Optimal Monetary and Fiscal Policies,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
005, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Fernando Alvarez & Patrick J. Kehoe & Pablo Andrés Neumeyer, 2004. "The Time Consistency of Optimal Monetary and Fiscal Policies," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(2), pages 541-567, 03.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:red:issued:v:8:y:2005:i:3:p:600-622. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.