Bank Risk-Taking in CEE Countries
This study examines whether the lowering interest-rate environment in CEE countries since the early 2000’s increased bank risk-taking behaviour. We employ 6,979 annual observations from the Bankscope database over the period 1997-2011 and find a positive relationship between bank risk-taking, measured by risk assets, and interest rates. On the contrary, there is a negative relationship between non-performing loans and interest rates. These results are robust across a number of different specifications that account, inter alia, for the potential endogeneity of interest rates and/or the dynamics of bank risk. Moreover, we provide evidence that these findings are mainly driven by the banking sector of the Russian Federation rather than that of the rest CEE countries.
Volume (Year): 5 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://cejeme.org/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- DellAriccia, Giovanni & Marquez, Robert, 2005.
"Lending Booms and Lending Standards,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5095, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998.
"Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995. "Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models," Economics Papers 104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," IFS Working Papers W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Luc Laeven & Ross Levine, 2008.
"Bank Governance, Regulation, and Risk Taking,"
NBER Working Papers
14113, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ioannidou, V. & Ongena, S. & Peydro, J.L., 2009.
"Monetary Policy, Risk-Taking, and Pricing : Evidence from a Quasi-Natural Experiment,"
2009-31 S, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Vasso Ioannidou & Steven Ongena & José-Luis Peydró, 2015. "Monetary Policy, Risk-Taking, and Pricing: Evidence from a Quasi-Natural Experiment," Review of Finance, European Finance Association, vol. 19(1), pages 95-144.
- Keeley, Michael C, 1990. "Deposit Insurance, Risk, and Market Power in Banking," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1183-1200, December.
- Zuzana Fungáčová & Laura Solanko, 2009.
"Risk-taking by Russian banks: Do location, ownership and size matter?,"
Chapters in SUERF Studies,
SUERF - The European Money and Finance Forum.
- Fungáčová Z. & Solanko L., 2009. "Risk-taking by Russian banks: do location, ownership and size matter?," Экономический журнал Высшей школы экономики Higher School of Economics Economic Journal, CyberLeninka;Федеральное государственное автономное образовательное учреждение высшего образования «Национальный исследовательский университет «Высшая школа экономики», vol. 13(1), pages 101-129.
- Fungacova, Zuzana & Solanko, Laura, 2008. "Risk-taking by Russian banks: Do location, ownership and size matter?," BOFIT Discussion Papers 21/2008, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Tuuli Juurikkala & Alexei Karas & Laura Solanko, 2011.
"The Role of Banks in Monetary Policy Transmission: Empirical Evidence from Russia,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 19(1), pages 109-121, 02.
- Juurikkala, Tuuli & Solanko, Laura & Karas, Alexei, 2009. "The role of banks in monetary policy transmission: Empirical evidence from Russia," BOFIT Discussion Papers 8/2009, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Rainer Haselmann & Paul Wachtel, 2007.
"Risk Taking by Banks in the Transition Countries,"
Comparative Economic Studies,
Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 49(3), pages 411-429, September.
- Pestova Anna & Mamonov Mikhail, 2013. "Macroeconomic and bank?specific determinants of credit risk: evidence from Russia," EERC Working Paper Series 13/10e, EERC Research Network, Russia and CIS.
- Jackowicz, Krzysztof & Kowalewski, Oskar & Kozłowski, Łukasz, 2013. "The influence of political factors on commercial banks in Central European countries," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 759-777.
- Andrei Shleifer, 2009. "The Age of Milton Friedman," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 47(1), pages 123-35, March.
- Mamonov, Mikhail, 2012. "The impact of market power of Russian banks on their credit risk tolerance: A panel study," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 28(4), pages 85-112.
- Delis, Manthos D. & Kouretas, Georgios P., 2011.
"Interest rates and bank risk-taking,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 840-855, April.
- Agoraki, Maria-Eleni K. & Delis, Manthos D. & Pasiouras, Fotios, 2011.
"Regulations, competition and bank risk-taking in transition countries,"
Journal of Financial Stability,
Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 38-48, January.
- Agoraki, Maria-Eleni & Delis, Manthos D & Pasiouras, Fotios, 2009. "Regulations, competition and bank risk-taking in transition countries," MPRA Paper 16495, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Malgorzata Pawlowska, 2012. "Competition, concentration and foreign capital in the Polish banking sector (prior and during the financial crisis)," National Bank of Poland Working Papers 130, National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute.
- M Arellano & O Bover, 1990.
"Another Look at the Instrumental Variable Estimation of Error-Components Models,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0007, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bover, Olympia, 1995. "Another look at the instrumental variable estimation of error-components models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 29-51, July.
- Jeremy C. Stein & Anil K. Kashyap, 2000. "What Do a Million Observations on Banks Say about the Transmission of Monetary Policy?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(3), pages 407-428, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:psc:journl:v:5:y:2013:i:2:p:103-123. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Krzysztof Osiewalski)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.