A Bivariate Copula-based Model for a Mixed Binary-Continuous Distribution: A Time Series Approach
In this paper we present a copula-based model for a binary and a continuous variable in a time series setup. Within this modeling framework both marginals can be equipped with their own dynamics whereas the contemporaneous dependence between both processes can be flexibly captured via a copula function. We propose a method for testing the goodness-offit of such a time series model using probability integral transforms (PIT). This verification procedure allows not only a verification of the goodness-offit of the estimated marginal distribution for a continuous variable but also the conditional distribution of a continuous variable given the outcome of its binary counterpart (i.e. the adequacy of the copula choice). We test the model on an empirical example: investigating the relationship between trading volume and the indicators of arbitrarily ’large’ price movements on the interbank EUR/PLN spot market.
Volume (Year): 4 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://cejeme.org/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ryszard Doman, 2006. "Measuring Conditional Dependence of Polish Financial Returns," Dynamic Econometric Models, Uniwersytet Mikolaja Kopernika, vol. 7, pages 59-68.
- A. Colin Cameron & Tong Li & Pravin K. Trivedi & David M. Zimmer, 2004.
"Modelling the differences in counted outcomes using bivariate copula models with application to mismeasured counts,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 7(2), pages 566-584, December.
- A. Colin Cameron & Tong Li & Pravin K. Trivedi & David M. Zimmer, 2004. "Modeling the Differences in Counted Outcomes using Bivariate Copula Models: with Application to Mismeasured Counts," Working Papers 43, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Harris, Lawrence E, 1994. "Minimum Price Variations, Discrete Bid-Ask Spreads, and Quotation Sizes," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 7(1), pages 149-78.
- Joachim Grammig & Kai-Oliver Maurer, 2000. "Non-monotonic hazard functions and the autoregressive conditional duration model," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 3(1), pages 16-38.
- BAUWENS, Luc & VEREDAS, David, .
"The stochastic conditional duration model: a latent variable model for the analysis of financial durations,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1688, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bauwens, Luc & Veredas, David, 2004. "The stochastic conditional duration model: a latent variable model for the analysis of financial durations," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 119(2), pages 381-412, April.
- Robert F. Engle & Jeffrey R. Russell, 1998. "Autoregressive Conditional Duration: A New Model for Irregularly Spaced Transaction Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(5), pages 1127-1162, September.
- Rainer Winkelmann, 2012.
"Copula Bivariate Probit Models: With An Application To Medical Expenditures,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(12), pages 1444-1455, December.
- Rainer Winkelmann, 2011. "Copula bivariate probit models: with an application to medical expenditures," ECON - Working Papers 029, Department of Economics - University of Zurich.
- Neil Shephard & Tina Hviid Rydberg, 2002.
"Dynamics of trade-by-trade price movements: decomposition and models,"
Economics Series Working Papers
2002-FE-04, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Tina Hviid Rydberg & Neil Shephard, 2003. "Dynamics of Trade-by-Trade Price Movements: Decomposition and Models," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 1(1), pages 2-25.
- Tina Hviid Rydberg & Neil Shephard, 2002. "Dynamics of trade-by-trade price movements: decomposition and models," Economics Papers 2002-W1, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Tina Hviid Rydberg & Neil Shephard, 2002. "Dynamics of trade-by-trade price movements: decomposition and models," OFRC Working Papers Series 2002fe04, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Jennings, Robert H & Starks, Laura T & Fellingham, John C, 1981. "An Equilibrium Model of Asset Trading with Sequential Information Arrival," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 36(1), pages 143-61, March.
- Katarzyna Bien & Ingmar Nolte & Winfried Pohlmeier, 2007.
"An Inflated Multivariate Integer Count Hurdle Model: An Application to Bid and Ask Quote Dynamics,"
CoFE Discussion Paper
07-04, Center of Finance and Econometrics, University of Konstanz.
- Katarzyna Bien & Ingmar Nolte & Winfried Pohlmeier, 2011. "An inflated multivariate integer count hurdle model: an application to bid and ask quote dynamics," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 26(4), pages 669-707, 06.
- Christian Genest & Michel Gendron & Micha�l Bourdeau-Brien, 2009. "The Advent of Copulas in Finance," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(7-8), pages 609-618.
- Easley, David & O'Hara, Maureen, 1987. "Price, trade size, and information in securities markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 69-90, September.
- Manganelli, Simone, 2005.
"Duration, volume and volatility impact of trades,"
Journal of Financial Markets,
Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 377-399, November.
- Copeland, Thomas E, 1976. "A Model of Asset Trading under the Assumption of Sequential Information Arrival," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(4), pages 1149-68, September.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev, 1996.
"Heterogeneous Information Arrivals and Return Volatility Dynamics: Uncovering the Long-Run in High Frequency Returns,"
NBER Working Papers
5752, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andersen, Torben G & Bollerslev, Tim, 1997. " Heterogeneous Information Arrivals and Return Volatility Dynamics: Uncovering the Long-Run in High Frequency Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(3), pages 975-1005, July.
- Blume, Lawrence & Easley, David & O'Hara, Maureen, 1994. " Market Statistics and Technical Analysis: The Role of Volume," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(1), pages 153-81, March.
- Chandra Bhat & Ipek Sener, 2009. "A copula-based closed-form binary logit choice model for accommodating spatial correlation across observational units," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 243-272, September.
- Paul Embrechts, 2009. "Copulas: A Personal View," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 76(3), pages 639-650.
- Diebold, Francis X & Gunther, Todd A & Tay, Anthony S, 1998. "Evaluating Density Forecasts with Applications to Financial Risk Management," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(4), pages 863-83, November.
- Trivedi, Pravin K. & Zimmer, David M., 2007. "Copula Modeling: An Introduction for Practitioners," Foundations and Trends(R) in Econometrics, now publishers, vol. 1(1), pages 1-111, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:psc:journl:v:4:y:2012:i:2:p:117-142. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Krzysztof Osiewalski)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.