Large Shareholder Diversification and Corporate Risk-Taking
Using new data for the universe of firms covered in Amadeus, we reconstruct the portfolios of shareholders who hold equity stakes in private- and publicly traded European firms. We find great heterogeneity in the degree of portfolio diversification across large shareholders. Exploiting this heterogeneity, we document that firms controlled by diversified large shareholders undertake riskier investments than firms controlled by nondiversified large shareholders. The impact of large shareholder diversification on corporate risk-taking is both economically and statistically significant. Our results have important implications at the policy level because they identify one channel through which policy changes can improve economic welfare. The Author 2011. Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of The Society for Financial Studies. All rights reserved. For Permissions, please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org., Oxford University Press.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 24 ()
Issue (Month): 11 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Oxford University Press, Journals Department, 2001 Evans Road, Cary, NC 27513 USA.|
Web page: http://www.rfs.oupjournals.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www4.oup.co.uk/revfin/subinfo/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luc Laeven & Ross Levine, 2008.
"Bank Governance, Regulation, and Risk Taking,"
NBER Working Papers
14113, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marianne Bertrand & Paras Mehta & Sendhil Mullainathan, 2000.
"Ferreting Out Tunneling: An Application to Indian Business Groups,"
NBER Working Papers
7952, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marianne Bertrand & Paras Mehta & Sendhil Mullainathan, 2002. "Ferreting out Tunneling: An Application to Indian Business Groups," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 117(1), pages 121-148.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, .
"Financial Dependence and Growth,"
CRSP working papers
344, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Luc Laeven & Ross Levine, 2005.
"Is There a Diversification Discount in Financial Conglomerates?,"
NBER Working Papers
11499, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Laeven, Luc & Levine, Ross, 2007. "Is there a diversification discount in financial conglomerates?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 331-367, August.
- Laeven, Luc & Levine, Ross, 2005. "Is There a Diversification Discount in Financial Conglomerates?," CEPR Discussion Papers 5121, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kempf, Alexander & Ruenzi, Stefan & Thiele, Tanja, 2008.
"Employment risk, compensation incentives and managerial risk taking: Evidence from the mutual fund industry,"
CFR Working Papers
07-02, University of Cologne, Centre for Financial Research (CFR).
- Kempf, Alexander & Ruenzi, Stefan & Thiele, Tanja, 2009. "Employment risk, compensation incentives, and managerial risk taking: Evidence from the mutual fund industry," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 92-108, April.
- Hirshleifer, David & Thakor, Anjan V, 1992. "Managerial Conservatism, Project Choice, and Debt," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 5(3), pages 437-70.
- Randall Morck & Daniel Wolfenzon & Bernard Yeung, 2004.
"Corporate Governance, Economic Entrenchment and Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
10692, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bernard Yeung & Randall Morck & Daniel Wolfenzon, 2004. "Corporate Governance, Economic Entrenchment and Growth," Working Papers 04-21, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Alok Kumar & William N. Goetzmann, 2001.
"Equity Portfolio Diversification,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm236, Yale School of Management.
- Faccio, Mara & Lang, Larry H. P., 2002. "The ultimate ownership of Western European corporations," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(3), pages 365-395, September.
- Bertrand, Marianne & Johnson, Simon & Samphantharak, Krislert & Schoar, Antoinette, 2008.
"Mixing family with business: A study of Thai business groups and the families behind them,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 88(3), pages 466-498, June.
- Marianne Bertrand & Simon Johnson & Krislert Samphantharak & Antoinette Schoar, 2008. "Mixing Family With Business: A Study of Thai Business Groups and the Families Behind Them," NBER Working Papers 13738, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Larry H. P. Lang & Mara Faccio & Leslie Young, 2001. "Dividends and Expropriation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(1), pages 54-78, March.
- Agrawal, Anup & Mandelker, Gershon N, 1987. " Managerial Incentives and Corporate Investment and Financing Decision s," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(4), pages 823-37, September.
- Simeon Djankov & Tim Ganser & Caralee McLiesh & Rita Ramalho & Andrei Shleifer, 2010.
"The Effect of Corporate Taxes on Investment and Entrepreneurship,"
American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics,
American Economic Association, vol. 2(3), pages 31-64, July.
- Rmalho, Rita & Ganser, Tim Christian & Shleifer, Andrei & McLiesh, Caralee & Djankov, Simeon, 2010. "The Effect of Corporate Taxes on Investment and Entrepreneurship," Scholarly Articles 8705900, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Simeon Djankov & Tim Ganser & Caralee McLiesh & Rita Ramalho & Andrei Shleifer, 2008. "The Effect of Corporate Taxes on Investment and Entrepreneurship," NBER Working Papers 13756, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Randall K. Morck, 2005. "A History of Corporate Governance around the World: Family Business Groups to Professional Managers," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number morc05-1, March.
- Coles, Jeffrey L. & Daniel, Naveen D. & Naveen, Lalitha, 2006. "Managerial incentives and risk-taking," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 431-468, February.
- repec:aea:jeclit:v:43:y:2005:i:3:p:655-720 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:rfinst:v:24:y::i:11:p:3601-3641. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.