International spillover effects of sectoral tax differentiation in unionized economies
Sectoral tax differentiation has in recent years appeared on the agenda in European policy discussions concerning unemployment. The member countries of the European Union are allowed to reduce the value added tax rates on goods and services that are particularly labour intensive and price elastic. This paper provides a theoretical analysis of the international repercussions of such policies. We develop a two-country and two-sector model with monopolistic competition in the goods market and wage bargaining in the labour market. Policy externalities operate through the endogenously determined terms of trade. We examine how national and supranational commodity tax policies affect sectoral and total employment and characterize optimal commodity taxes with and without international policy cooperation. Some rough estimates of the welfare gains from policy coordination are also presented, using a calibrated version of the model. Copyright 2002, Oxford University Press.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 54 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Oxford University Press, Great Clarendon Street, Oxford OX2 6DP, UK|
Fax: 01865 267 985
Web page: http://oep.oupjournals.org/
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.oup.co.uk/journals|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jan Sørensen, 1994. "Market integration and imperfect competition in labor and product markets," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 115-130, March.
- Bertil Holmlund & Ann-Sofie Kolm, 2000.
"Environmental Tax Reform in a Small Open Economy With Structural Unemployment,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 7(3), pages 315-333, May.
- Holmlund, Bertil & Kolm, Ann-Sofie, 1998. "Environmental Tax Reform in a Small Open Economy with Structural Unemployment," Working Paper Series 1997:2, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Rauch, James E., 1999. "Networks versus markets in international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 7-35, June.
- James E. Rauch, 1996. "Networks versus Markets in International Trade," NBER Working Papers 5617, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Keen, Michael & Lahiri, Sajal, 1998. "The comparison between destination and origin principles under imperfect competition," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 323-350, August.
- Keen, Michael & Lahiri, Sajal, 1994. "The Comparison Between Destination and Origin Principles Under Imperfect Competition," Economics Discussion Papers 10023, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Michael Keen & Sajal Lahiri, 1994. "The comparison between destination and origin principles under imperfect competition," IFS Working Papers W94/08, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Pissarides, Christopher A., 1998. "The impact of employment tax cuts on unemployment and wages; The role of unemployment benefits and tax structure," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 155-183, January.
- Christopher Pissarides, 1997. "The impact of employment tax cuts on unemployment and wages : the role of unemployment benefits and tax structure," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2332, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Christopher A. Pissarides, 1997. "The Impact of Employment Tax Cuts on Unemployment and Wages: The Role of Unemployment Benefits and Tax Structure," CEP Discussion Papers dp0361, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Lockwood, Ben, 1993. "Commodity tax competition under destination and origin principles," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 141-162, September.
- Lockwood, Ben, 1992. "Commodity Tax Competition Under Destination and Origin Principles," CEPR Discussion Papers 733, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Driffill, John & van der Ploeg, Frederick, 1993. "Monopoly Unions and the Liberalisation of International Trade," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 103(417), pages 379-385, March.
- Holmlund, B. & Kolm, A.-S., 1999. "Economic Integration, Imperfect Competition, and International Policy Coordination," Papers 1999:7, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Holmlund, Bertil & Kolm, Ann-Sofie, 1999. "Economic Integration, Imperfect Competition, and International Policy Coordination," Working Paper Series 1999:7, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Huizinga, Harry, 1993. " International Market Integration and Union Wage Bargaining," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 95(2), pages 249-255.
- Huizinga, H.P., 1993. "International market integration and union wage bargaining," Other publications TiSEM 567712dd-8f03-40d8-8428-c, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- van der ploeg, F., 1987. "Coordination of optimal taxation in a two-country equilibrium model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 279-285.
- Naylor, Robin, 1998. "International trade and economic integration when labour markets are generally unionised," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(7), pages 1251-1267, July.
- Kolm, Ann-Sofie, 1998. "Differentiated payroll taxes, unemployment, and welfare," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 255-271, November.
- Andersen, Torben M. & Sorensen, Jan Rose, 1995. "Unemployment and fiscal policy in an economic and monetary union," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 27-43, March.
- Driffill, John & van der Ploeg, Frederick, 1995. " Trade Liberalization with Imperfect Competition in Goods and Labour Markets," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 97(2), pages 223-243, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)