Universities, knowledge networks and regional policy
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Romer, Paul M, 1986. "Increasing Returns and Long-run Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(5), pages 1002-1037, October.
- Peter Nijkamp, 2003. "Entrepreneurship in a Modern Network Economy," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(4), pages 395-405.
- Friedman, Joseph & Silberman, Jonathan, 2003. "University Technology Transfer: Do Incentives, Management, and Location Matter?," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 17-30, January.
- Paul Tracey & Gordon L. Clark, 2003. "Alliances, Networks and Competitive Strategy: Rethinking Clusters of Innovation," Growth and Change, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(1), pages 1-16.
- Nelson, Richard R, 2001. "Observations on the Post-Bayh-Dole Rise of Patenting at American Universities," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 26(1-2), pages 13-19, January.
- David Doloreux, 2004. "Regional Innovation Systems in Canada: A Comparative Study," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(5), pages 479-492.
- Etzkowitz, Henry & Webster, Andrew & Gebhardt, Christiane & Terra, Branca Regina Cantisano, 2000. "The future of the university and the university of the future: evolution of ivory tower to entrepreneurial paradigm," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 313-330, February.
- Lydia Greunz, 2005. "Intra- and inter-regional knowledge spillovers: Evidence from European regions," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(3), pages 449-473, April.
- Franklin, Stephen J & Wright, Mike & Lockett, Andy, 2001. "Academic and Surrogate Entrepreneurs in University Spin-Out Companies," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 26(1-2), pages 127-141, January.
- Manfred M. Fischer & Attila Varga, 2003. "Spatial knowledge spillovers and university research: Evidence from Austria," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 37(2), pages 303-322, May.
- Henderson, Vernon & Kuncoro, Ari & Turner, Matt, 1995. "Industrial Development in Cities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(5), pages 1067-1090, October.
- Steffensen, Morten & Rogers, Everett M. & Speakman, Kristen, 2000. "Spin-offs from research centers at a research university," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 93-111, January.
- Maryann Feldman & Pierre Desrochers, 2003. "Research Universities and Local Economic Development: Lessons from the History of the Johns Hopkins University," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(1), pages 5-24.
- Daniel K. N. Johnson & Alyn Siripong & Amy S. Brown, 2006. "The Demise of Distance? The Declining Role of Physical Proximity for Knowledge Transmission," Growth and Change, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(1), pages 19-33.
- Mark J. Garmaise, 2003. "Informal Financial Networks: Theory and Evidence," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 16(4), pages 1007-1040.
- Adams, James D & Chiang, Eric P & Starkey, Katara, 2001. "Industry-University Cooperative Research Centers," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 26(1-2), pages 73-86, January.
- Jasjit Singh, 2005. "Collaborative Networks as Determinants of Knowledge Diffusion Patterns," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(5), pages 756-770, May.
- Hall, Bronwyn H. & MacGarvie, Megan, 2010. "The private value of software patents," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(7), pages 994-1009, September.
- Audretsch, David B. & Lehmann, Erik E. & Warning, Susanne, 2005.
"University spillovers and new firm location,"
Elsevier, vol. 34(7), pages 1113-1122, September.
- David B. Audretsch & Erik E. Lehmann & Susanne Warning, 2004. "University Spillovers and New Firm Location," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2004-02, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Jaffe, Adam B, 1989. "Real Effects of Academic Research," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(5), pages 957-970, December.
- Goldfarb, Brent & Henrekson, Magnus, 2003. "Bottom-up versus top-down policies towards the commercialization of university intellectual property," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 639-658, April.
- Romer, Paul M, 1990. "Endogenous Technological Change," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages 71-102, October.
- Debackere, Koenraad & Veugelers, Reinhilde, 2005. "The role of academic technology transfer organizations in improving industry science links," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 321-342, April.
- Santoro, Michael D. & Chakrabarti, Alok K., 2002. "Firm size and technology centrality in industry-university interactions," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1163-1180, September.
- Powers, Joshua B. & McDougall, Patricia P., 2005. "University start-up formation and technology licensing with firms that go public: a resource-based view of academic entrepreneurship," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 291-311, May.
- Harvey Goldstein & Catherine Renault, 2004. "Contributions of Universities to Regional Economic Development: A Quasi-experimental Approach," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(7), pages 733-746.
- James D. Adams & Adam B. Jaffe, 1996.
"Bounding the Effects of R&D: An Investigation Using Matched Establishment-Firm Data,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 27(4), pages 700-721, Winter.
- James D. Adams & Adam B. Jaffe, 1996. "Bounding the Effects of R&D: An Investigation Using Matched Establishment-Firm Data," NBER Working Papers 5544, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Elfring, Tom & Hulsink, Willem, 2003. "Networks in Entrepreneurship: The Case of High-Technology Firms," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 21(4), pages 409-422, December.
- Mowery, David C. & Oxley, Joanne E. & Silverman, Brian S., 1998. "Technological overlap and interfirm cooperation: implications for the resource-based view of the firm," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 507-523, September.
- Attila Varga, 2000. "Local Academic Knowledge Transfers and the Concentration of Economic Activity," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(2), pages 289-309.
- Meyer-Krahmer, Frieder & Schmoch, Ulrich, 1998. "Science-based technologies: university-industry interactions in four fields," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(8), pages 835-851, December.
- Phillip Phan & Donald S. Siegel & Mike Wright, 2016.
"Science Parks and Incubators: Observations, Synthesis and Future Research,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,in: TECHNOLOGY ENTREPRENEURSHIP AND BUSINESS INCUBATION Theory • Practice • Lessons Learned, chapter 9, pages 249-272
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Phan, Phillip H. & Siegel, Donald S. & Wright, Mike, 2005. "Science parks and incubators: observations, synthesis and future research," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 165-182, March.
- Michael L. Tushman & Ralph Katz, 1980. "External Communication and Project Performance: An Investigation into the Role of Gatekeepers," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 26(11), pages 1071-1085, November.
- Michael Fritsch, 2002. "Measuring the Quality of Regional Innovation Systems: A Knowledge Production Function Approach," International Regional Science Review, , vol. 25(1), pages 86-101, January.
- Motohashi, Kazuyuki, 2005. "University-industry collaborations in Japan: The role of new technology-based firms in transforming the National Innovation System," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(5), pages 583-594, June.
- Jerry G. Thursby & Marie C. Thursby, 2002.
"Who Is Selling the Ivory Tower? Sources of Growth in University Licensing,"
INFORMS, vol. 48(1), pages 90-104, January.
- Jerry G. Thursby & Marie C. Thursby, 2000. "Who is Selling the Ivory Tower? Sources of Growth in University Licensing," NBER Working Papers 7718, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Markman, Gideon D. & Phan, Phillip H. & Balkin, David B. & Gianiodis, Peter T., 2005. "Entrepreneurship and university-based technology transfer," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 241-263, March.
- Thursby, Jerry G & Jensen, Richard & Thursby, Marie C, 2001. "Objectives, Characteristics and Outcomes of University Licensing: A Survey of Major U.S. Universities," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 26(1-2), pages 59-72, January.
- Lee, Yong S, 2000. "The Sustainability of University-Industry Research Collaboration: An Empirical Assessment," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 25(2), pages 111-133, June.
- Ina Drejer & Anker Lund Vinding, 2007. "Searching Near and Far: Determinants of Innovative Firms' Propensity to Collaborate Across Geographical Distance," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(3), pages 259-275.
- Suma Athreye, 2000.
"Agglomeration and Growth: A Study of the Cambridge Hi-Tech Cluster,"
Open Discussion Papers in Economics
29, The Open University, Faculty of Social Sciences, Department of Economics.
- Suma Athreye, 2003. "Agglomeration And Growth: A Study Of The Cambridge Hi-Tech Cluster," Urban/Regional 0308001, EconWPA.
- Ron Martin & Peter Sunley, 2003.
"Deconstructing clusters: chaotic concept or policy panacea?,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 3(1), pages 5-35, January.
- Ron Martin & Peter Sunley, 2002. "Deconstructing Clusters: Chaotic Concept or Policy Panacea," Working Papers wp244, Centre for Business Research, University of Cambridge.
- Olav Sorenson & Jan W. Rivkin & Lee Fleming, 2010. "Complexity, Networks and Knowledge Flows," Chapters,in: The Handbook of Evolutionary Economic Geography, chapter 15 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Sapienza, Harry J., 1992. "When do venture capitalists add value?," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 9-27, January.
- Ron Boschma, 2005. "Proximity and Innovation: A Critical Assessment," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(1), pages 61-74.
- Annika Rickne, 2006. "Connectivity and Performance of Science-based Firms," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 26(4), pages 393-407, May.
- Acs, Zoltan J. & Anselin, Luc & Varga, Attila, 2002. "Patents and innovation counts as measures of regional production of new knowledge," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1069-1085, September.
- Henry Etzkowitz, 2006. "The new visible hand: An assisted linear model of science and innovation policy," Science and Public Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 33(5), pages 310-320, June.
- Elizabeth Garnsey & Paul Heffernan, 2005. "High-technology clustering through spin-out and attraction: The Cambridge case," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(8), pages 1127-1144.
- Riddel, Mary & Schwer, R. Keith, 2003. "Regional Innovative Capacity with Endogenous Employment: Empirical Evidence from the U.S," The Review of Regional Studies, Southern Regional Science Association, vol. 33(1), pages 73-84.
- Ron Boschma, 2004. "Competitiveness of Regions from an Evolutionary Perspective," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(9), pages 1001-1014.
- Lissoni, Francesco, 2001. "Knowledge codification and the geography of innovation: the case of Brescia mechanical cluster," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(9), pages 1479-1500, December.
- Helen Lawton Smith, 2003. "Knowledge Organizations and Local Economic Development: The Cases of Oxford and Grenoble," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(9), pages 899-909.
- Harada, Tsutomu, 2003. "Three steps in knowledge communication: the emergence of knowledge transformers," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(10), pages 1737-1751, December.
- Stoneman, Paul & Diederen, Paul, 1994. "Technology Diffusion and Public Policy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(425), pages 918-930, July.
- Lucas, Robert Jr., 1988. "On the mechanics of economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 3-42, July.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Soetanto, Danny & Jack, Sarah, 2016. "The impact of university-based incubation support on the innovation strategy of academic spin-offs," Technovation, Elsevier, vol. 50, pages 25-40.
- Cristina SERBANICA, 2011. "Universities’ Impact On Regional Innovation Systems. An Industry’S Perspective," Proceedings of Administration and Public Management International Conference, Research Centre in Public Administration and Public Services, Bucharest, Romania, vol. 7(1), pages 444-456, June.
- Wellbrock Wiebke & Roep Dirk & Wiskerke Johannes, 2012. "An integrated perspective on rural regional learning," European Countryside, Sciendo, vol. 4(1), pages 1-16, January.
- Nick Clifton & Robyn Keast & David Pickernell & Martyn Senior, 2010. "Network Structure, Knowledge Governance, and Firm Performance: Evidence from Innovation Networks and SMEs in the UK," Growth and Change, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(3), pages 337-373.
- Elliot Siemiatycki, 2013. "A Smooth Ride? From Industrial to Creative Urbanism in Oshawa, Ontario," International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(5), pages 1766-1784, September.
- Eleonora Pierucci, 2015. "University-industry linkages. Among italian regions: a supply-demand analysis," RIVISTA DI ECONOMIA E STATISTICA DEL TERRITORIO, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2015(2), pages 5-33.
- Blerjana Bino & Ketrina Çabiri & Erjon Curraj & Alban Hashani & Ilire Mehmeti, 2015. "Knowledge-Based Regional Development in Albania and Kosovo - Reducing social and economic disparities through social and economic innovation," wiiw Balkan Observatory Working Papers 113, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Cristian Barra & Ornella Wanda Maietta & Roberto Zotti, 2017. "First, Second and Third Tier Universities: Academic Excellence, Local Knowledge Spillovers and Innovation in Europe," CSEF Working Papers 468, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Laura Tampieri, 2013. "The Governance of Synergies and Conflicts in Project Management: The Case of IPA Project RecoURB," Journal of the Knowledge Economy, Springer;Portland International Center for Management of Engineering and Technology (PICMET), vol. 4(4), pages 370-386, December.
- repec:rom:campco:v:7:y:2011:i:1:p:444-456 is not listed on IDEAS
- Torben Schubert & Henning Kroll, 2016. "Universities’ effects on regional GDP and unemployment: The case of Germany," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 95(3), pages 467-489, August.
- repec:taf:regstd:v:51:y:2017:i:7:p:982-993 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:bla:presci:v:96:y:2017:i:2:p:247-260 is not listed on IDEAS
- Qiantao Zhang & Niall G. MacKenzie & Dylan Jones-Evans & Robert Huggins, 2016. "Leveraging knowledge as a competitive asset? The intensity, performance and structure of universities’ entrepreneurial knowledge exchange activities at a regional level," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 47(3), pages 657-675, October.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:cjrecs:v:1:y:2008:i:2:p:321-340. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press) or (Christopher F. Baum). General contact details of provider: https://academic.oup.com/cjres .