Effects of the Full Opening of the Austrian Labor Market to EU-8 Citizens
Within the next few years, Austria will lift its temporary restrictions on the free movement of workers from the EU-8 countries. Estimates of the resulting inflow of foreign labor to Austria are surrounded by a high level of uncertainty and vary widely. A review of the literature and the results of empirical estimations presented in this paper – indicating an expected inflow of some 200,000 immigrant employees within ten years – suggest the following: Immigration will have a small impact on the Austrian labor market at the aggregate level, but may reduce the employability of low-skilled, low-income workers. As regards the impact on inflation, it can be assumed that price pressures will decline.
Volume (Year): (2007)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 61, A-1011 Vienna, Austria|
Phone: +43/1/404 20 7405
Fax: +43/1/404 20 7499
Web page: http://www.oenb.at
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Oesterreichische Nationalbank, Documentation Management and Communications Services, Otto-Wagner Platz 3, A-1090 Vienna, Austria|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- George J. Borjas, 1994.
"The Economic Benefits from Immigration,"
NBER Working Papers
4955, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pierre Cahuc & André Zylberberg, 2006. "The Natural Survival of Work," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00308624, HAL.
- Borjas, George J., 1999. "The economic analysis of immigration," Handbook of Labor Economics, in: O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 28, pages 1697-1760 Elsevier.
- Rebecca Riley & Ray Barrell, 2007.
"EU enlargement and migration: Assessing the macroeconomic impacts,"
NIESR Discussion Papers
292, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Ray Barrell & John Fitzgerald & Rebecca Riley, 2010. "EU Enlargement and Migration: Assessing the Macroeconomic Impacts," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48, pages 373-395, 03.
- Ray Barrell & John FitzGerald & Rebecca Riley, 2007. "EU Enlargement and Migration: Assessing the Macroeconomic Impacts," Papers WP203, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- repec:nsr:niesrd:292 is not listed on IDEAS
- Joshua D. Angrist & Adriana D. Kugler, 2003.
"Protective or counter-productive? labour market institutions and the effect of immigration on eu natives,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(488), pages 302-331, 06.
- Joshua D. Angrist & Adriana D. Kugler, 2001. "Protective or counter-productive? Labor market institutions and the effect of immigration on EU natives," Economics Working Papers 587, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Chiswick, Barry R. & Miller, Paul W., 2007. "The International Transferability of Immigrants’ Human Capital Skills," IZA Discussion Papers 2670, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Paçacı Elitok, Seçil & Straubhaar, Thomas, 2012. "Introduction," Edition HWWI: Chapters, in: Turkey, migration and the EU, pages 11-17 Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
- Pesaran, H. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 1998.
"Generalized impulse response analysis in linear multivariate models,"
Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 17-29, January.
- Pesaran, M. H. & Shin, Y., 1997. "Generalised Impulse Response Analysis in Linear Multivariate Models," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9710, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Frigyes Ferdinand Heinz & Melanie Ward-Warmedinger, 2006. "Cross-border labour mobility within an enlarged EU," Occasional Paper Series 52, European Central Bank.
- Hans-Werner Sinn & Martin Werding, 2001. "Zuwanderung nach der EU-Osterweiterung: Wo liegen die Probleme?," Ifo Schnelldienst, Ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 54(08), pages 18-27, 05.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:onb:oenbmp:y:2007:i:4:b:3. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudia Kwapil)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.