Are Euro Cash Holdings in Central and Eastern Europe Driven by Experience or Anticipation? Results from an OeNB Survey
Although euroization is an important phenomenon in emerging markets, still very little is known about who holds how much euro and for what purposes. In this paper, we employ unique survey data to analyze various aspects of foreign currency holdings in five Central and Eastern European countries (CEECs). This allows us to study the impact of expectations and hysteresis on individual behavior. Our results show that a substantial share of the population in the countries under review holds euro cash. We fi nd little evidence that infl ation or exchange rate expectations are important determinants of euroization, whereas variables related to a country’s economic history seem to be of some signifi cance. Our results also indicate that the demand for euro and its use in domestic payments increases as the date of euro adoption approaches.
Volume (Year): (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +43/1/404 20 7405
Fax: +43/1/404 20 7499
Web page: http://www.oenb.at
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Postal: Oesterreichische Nationalbank, Documentation Management and Communications Services, Otto-Wagner Platz 3, A-1090 Vienna, Austria|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- M. Ruth & K. Donaghy & P. Kirshen, 2006. "Introduction," Chapters, in: Regional Climate Change and Variability, chapter 1 Edward Elgar.
- Bénédicte Vidaillet & V. D'Estaintot & P. Abécassis, 2005. "Introduction," Post-Print hal-00287137, HAL.
- Helmut Stix, 2004. "Foreign Currency Demand since 2002 - Evidence from Five Central and Eastern European Countries," CESifo Forum, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 5(4), pages 19-24, December.
- Edgar L. Feige, 2003.
"The Dynamics of Currency Substitution, Asset Substitution and De facto Dollarization and Euroization in Transition Countries,"
- Edgar L. Feige, 2003. "The Dynamics of Currency Substitution, Asset Substitution and De facto Dollarization and Euroization in Transition Countrieses," Macroeconomics 0305003, EconWPA.
- Feige,E.L., 2003. "The dynamics of currency substitution, asset substitution and de facto dollarization and euroization in transition countries," Working papers 3, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Nikolay Nenovsky & S. Statev, 2006. "Introduction," Post-Print halshs-00260898, HAL.
- Helmut Stix, 2002. "The Euro in Central and Eastern Europe (CEE countries) : survey evidence from five countries," CESifo Forum, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 3(3), pages 33-38, 04.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:onb:oenbfi:y:2007:i:1:b:2. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Birgit Riedler)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.