All Solution Graphs in Multidimensional Screening
We study general discrete-types multidimensional screening without any noticeable restrictions on valuations, using instead epsilon-relaxation of the incentivecompatibility constraints. Any active (becoming equality) constraint can be perceived as "envy" arc from one type to another, so the set of active constraints is a digraph. We find that: (1) any solution has an in-rooted acyclic graph ("river"); (2) for any logically feasible river there exists a screening problem resulting in such river. Using these results, any solution is characterized both through its spanning-tree and through its Lagrange multipliers, that can help in finding solutions and their efficiency/distortion properties.
Volume (Year): (2011)
Issue (Month): 11 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +7 495 7189855
Fax: +7 495 7189855
Web page: http://www.econorus.org/english.phtml
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kokovin, S. & Nahata, B. & Zhelobodko, E., 2011.
"All Solution Graphs in Multidimensional Screening,"
Journal of the New Economic Association,
New Economic Association, issue 11, pages 10-38.
- Brito, Dagobert L, et al, 1990.
"Pareto Efficient Tax Structures,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 42(1), pages 61-77, January.
- Babu Nahata & Serguei Kokovin & Evgeny Zhelobodko, 2003. "Package Sizes, Tariffs, Quantity Discount and Premium," General Economics and Teaching 0307002, EconWPA.
- Kokovin, Sergey & Nahata, Babu & Zhelobodko, Evgeny, 2010. "Multidimensional screening under nonlinear costs: Limits of standard approach," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 107(2), pages 263-265, May.
- Armstrong, Mark & Rochet, Jean-Charles, 1999. "Multi-dimensional screening:: A user's guide," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(4-6), pages 959-979, April.
- Guesnerie Roger & Seade Jesus, 1981.
"Nonlinear pricing in a finite economy,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Andersson, Tommy, 2008. "Efficiency properties of non-linear pricing schedules without the single-crossing condition," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 99(2), pages 364-366, May.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles, 1987. "A necessary and sufficient condition for rationalizability in a quasi-linear context," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 191-200, April.
- Stole, Lars A., 2007. "Price Discrimination and Competition," Handbook of Industrial Organization, Elsevier.
- Andersson, Tommy, 2005. "Profit maximizing nonlinear pricing," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 135-139, July.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Philippe Chone, 1998. "Ironing, Sweeping, and Multidimensional Screening," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(4), pages 783-826, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nea:journl:y:2011:i:11:p:10-38. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexey Tcharykov)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.