Country and industry factors as determinants of corporate financial liquidity in the European Union countries
Financial liquidity is considered as one of the most important features of corporate performance. This study is meant to verify whether the short-term solvency depends more on the specific features of the country, where an enterprise operates, or whether it is more heavily influenced by the industrial factors. The relative importance of the industry and country effect in financial liquidity ratios is evaluated with the use of multivariate statistical methods, involving mainly cluster analysis. The study involves 13 industries in 10 European Union countries, including Poland in the period 1999–2005. The study is based on the harmonised and aggregated financial reports from the European Commission BACH database. Findings provide empirical evidence that industrial factors constitute a more important determinant of corporate financial liquidity than country-specific factors. The results of the analysis may be useful for optimising investment diversification strategies.
Volume (Year): 42 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 00-919 Warszawa ul. Świętokrzyska 11/21|
Phone: (0-22) 653 10 00
Fax: (0-22) 620 85 18
Web page: http://www.bankikredyt.nbp.pl/menu_en.aspx
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brooks, Robin & Del Negro, Marco, 2004.
"The rise in comovement across national stock markets: market integration or IT bubble?,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 11(5), pages 659-680, December.
- Robin Brooks & Marco Del Negro, 2002. "The rise in comovement across national stock markets: market integration or IT bubble?," FRB Atlanta Working Paper 2002-17, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Phylaktis, Kate & Xia, Lichuan, 2006. "Sources of firms' industry and country effects in emerging markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 459-475, April.
- Helg, Rodolfo & Manasse, Paolo & Monacelli, Tommaso & Rovelli, Riccardo, 1995. "How much (a)symmetry in Europe? Evidence from industrial sectors," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 1017-1041, May.
- Solnik, B H, 1974. "The International Pricing of Risk: An Empirical Investigation of the World Capital Market Structure," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 365-378, May.
- K. Rouwenhorst, 1998. "European Equity Markets and EMU: Are the Differences Between Countries Slowly Disappearing?," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm103, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Aug 2000.
- Levy, Haim & Sarnat, Marshall, 1970. "International Diversification of Investment Portfolios," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(4), pages 668-675, September.
- Beckers, Stan & Grinold, Richard & Rudd, Andrew & Stefek, Dan, 1992. "The relative importance of common factors across the European equity markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 75-95, February.
- Flavin, Thomas J., 2004. "The effect of the Euro on country versus industry portfolio diversification," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(7-8), pages 1137-1158.
- Thomas Flavin, 2004. "The effect of the Euro on country versus industry portfolio diversification," Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series n1411004, Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth.
- Serrano Cinca, C. & Mar Molinero, C. & Gallizo Larraz, J.L., 2005. "Country and size effects in financial ratios: A European perspective," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 26-47, August.
- Marc Deloof, 2003. "Does Working Capital Management Affect Profitability of Belgian Firms?," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(3-4), pages 573-588.
- Konan Chan & Louis K. C. Chan & Narasimhan Jegadeesh & Josef Lakonishok, 2006. "Earnings Quality and Stock Returns," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(3), pages 1041-1082, May.
- Griffin, John M. & Andrew Karolyi, G., 1998. "Another look at the role of the industrial structure of markets for international diversification strategies," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 351-373, December.
- John M. Griffin & G. Andrew Karolyi, "undated". "Another Look at the Role of the Industrial Structure of Markets for International Diversification Strategies," Research in Financial Economics 9608, Ohio State University.
- Roll, Richard, 1992. " Industrial Structure and the Comparative Behavior of International Stock Market Indices," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(1), pages 3-41, March.
- repec:bla:joares:v:10:y:1972:i:1:p:77-95 is not listed on IDEAS
- Azhagaiah Ramachandran & Muralidharan Janakiraman, 2009. "The Relationship between Working Capital Management Efficiency and EBIT," Managing Global Transitions, University of Primorska, Faculty of Management Koper, vol. 7(1), pages 61-74.
- Gabriele Galati & Kostas Tsatsaronis, 2001. "The impact of the euro on Europe's financial markets," BIS Working Papers 100, Bank for International Settlements.
- Sushma Vishnani & Bhupesh Kr. Shah, 2007. "Impact of Working Capital Management Policies on Corporate Performanceâ€”An Empirical Study," Global Business Review, International Management Institute, vol. 8(2), pages 267-281, December.
- Pedro Juan García-Teruel, 2007. "Effects of working capital management on SME profitability," International Journal of Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 3(2), pages 164-177, April.
- A. E. Fernández Jilberto, 1991. "Introduction," International Journal of Political Economy, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 21(1), pages 3-9, April.
- Serra, Ana Paula, 2000. "Country and industry factors in returns: evidence from emerging markets' stocks," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 127-151, September.
- Heston, Steven L. & Rouwenhorst, K. Geert, 1994. "Does industrial structure explain the benefits of international diversification?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 3-27, August.
- Ferson, Wayne E & Harvey, Campbell R, 1993. "The Risk and Predictability of International Equity Returns," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 6(3), pages 527-566. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbp:nbpbik:v:42:y:2011:i:1:p:19-48. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michał Wieloch)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.