The Effect Of Financial/Economic Crisis On Firm Performance In Slovenia - A Micro Level, Difference-In-Differences Approach
The aim of the paper is to assess the effect of the financial/economic crisis on firm performance across different industry sectors in Slovenia. We employ unusually reach data set: in the analysis we include micro level accounting data on all Slovenian firms in the period from 2003 until 2010 (data for 2011 was not yet available). The analysis of the impact of financial/economic crisis on industry sectors in Slovenia is based on selected financial performance measures with the application of difference-in-differences approach. This is a quasi-experimental technique that measures the effect of a treatment at a given period in time. "Treatment" in our case is financial/economic crisis, which tend not to have a significant effect on some industries (i.e., control group) and have evident effect on other industries (i.e., treatment group). We find that the financial performance of firms was significantly poorer in treatment groups, confirming the negative effect of the financial/ economic crisis. Besides control group (industry sector A - Agriculture, forestry and fishing) for which we assumed to be less affected by the financial/economic crisis or not be affected at all, the industry sector B (Mining and quarrying) and financial indicator EBITDA margin seem not to be affected much from the financial/economic crisis. But for most industry sectors and financial indicators the effect of the crisis was evident/statistically significant. According to the results of the analysis, the financial/economic crisis had the most evident effect on return on equity and employee value added, and on industry sectors Electricity, gas, steam and air conditioning supply (D), Water supply, sewerage, waste management and remediation activities (E), and - of course - Construction (F).
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pradhan, Jaya Prakash, 2009. "Firm Performance during Global Economic Slowdown: A View from India," MPRA Paper 17145, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bricongne, Jean-Charles & Fontagné, Lionel & Gaulier, Guillaume & Taglioni, Daria & Vicard, Vincent, 2012.
"Firms and the global crisis: French exports in the turmoil,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 134-146.
- Bricongne, J-C. & Fontagné, L. & Gaulier, G. & Taglioni, D. & Vicard, V., 2009. "Firms and the global crisis: French exports in the turmoil," Working papers 265, Banque de France.
- Jean-Charles Bricongne & Lionel Fontagné & Guillaume Gaulier & Vincent Vicard & Daria Taglioni, 2012. "Firms and the global crisis: French exports in the turmoil," PSE - Labex "OSE-Ouvrir la Science Economique" hal-00639897, HAL.
- Jean-Charles Bricongne & Lionel Fontagné & Guillaume Gaulier & Daria Taglioni & Vincent Vicard, 2012. "Firms and the global crisis: French exports in the turmoil," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-01299846, HAL.
- Bricongne, Jean-Charles & Fontagné, Lionel & Gaulier, Guillaume & Taglioni, Daria & Vicard, Vincent, 2010. "Firms and the global crisis: French exports in the turmoil," Working Paper Series 1245, European Central Bank.
- Paul J. Gertler & Sebastian Martinez & Patrick Premand & Laura B. Rawlings & Christel M. J. Vermeersch, 2011. "Impact Evaluation in Practice, First Edition
[La evaluación de impacto en la práctica]," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2550, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mje:mjejnl:v:8:y:2012:i:2:p:207-222. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nikola Draskovic Jelcic)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.