Firm Performance during Global Economic Slowdown: A View from India
This study has analyzed the relative growth performance of Indian firms under the current economic slowdown and explored factors helping certain Indian companies to do relatively better even in this crisis period. It has been observed that the overall growth and stability of the global economy has become extremely important for the growth performance of Indian firms. In fact, sales and profitability growth of some 450 Indian manufacturing and IT firms were significantly reversed with the condition of global market turning adverse since late 2008. It is interesting that those Indian firms were relatively young in age and more focused on global market have been better off in terms of sales and profit growth than other firms. Also large firms and those having higher advertising intensities have enjoyed higher profit growth in this period. The concern for policy markers is that Indian companies have significantly reduced their technological activities due to falling sales and profit growth under the slowdown, besides their slashing of resource allocation for advertising and labour.
|Date of creation:||07 Sep 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pradhan, Jaya Prakash, 2005. "Different Shades of American Protectionism," MPRA Paper 16004, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Goddard, John & Wilson, John & Blandon, Peter, 2002. "Panel tests of Gibrat's Law for Japanese manufacturing," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 415-433, March.
- Alex Coad, 2007.
"Firm Growth : a Survey,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Alex Coad, 2007. "Firm growth : a survey," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne r07024, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Alexander Coad, 2007. "Firm Growth: A Survey," Papers on Economics and Evolution 2007-03, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1982. "Selection and the Evolution of Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 649-70, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:17145. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.